Although it was some 12 years later this is giving me flashbacks to dialling up the modem to play Duke Nukem 3D online (and constantly getting disconnected but was fun when it worked!)

Although it was some 12 years later this is giving me flashbacks to dialling up the modem to play Duke Nukem 3D online (and constantly getting disconnected but was fun when it worked!)
Loved that game, and dialling into a mate to play direct!

I'm not that old, thankfully. Born in '87, I've seen my fair share of slow internet, but it wasn’t until 2007 that I got my first real connection. I spent my whole '90s childhood and the early 2000s without the internet, and honestly, it was great. I wish I could go back. Wish we all could.

In 2007, I connected my GPRS-enabled Sony Ericsson to a 15-year-old family PC my dad had just handed back to me (long story), and I loaded up Google for the very first time. I felt unstoppable. Since then, I’ve been soaking up knowledge like a sponge. But somewhere along the way, everything started feeling less colourful, more corporate, and lifeless. The world just feels the same, hollow in a way it wasn’t before. I wish we could return to those times before the internet became huge, before social media was everywhere. Sure, we had Bebo and MySpace, but it was different back then in a way that’s hard to explain. Sometimes I think about kids today—how strange it must be to have never known a world without social media, without the internet woven into every part of life. Always on, always connected, bombarded with ads and privacy pop-ups you didn’t ask for and can’t escape. It’s like we’re drowning in stuff we never wanted in the first place, and cant turn off.

Just like planet Earth, humans took something powerful and beautiful and ruined it.

Back