Afternic "Boost" causes default commission rise

AlistairH

Reaction score
Trophy points
Just a heads up that those of you using Afternic (or more likely those who use dan.com who's domans were added to afternic whether we liked it or not), they have went and sneaked a new feature under our noses called "boost". Apparently it gives listed domains more prominence in their listings. They have auto enrolled everyone and you have to go into the settings to untick it if you don't want to be charged an extra 5% commission on all sales through them (so 20% if you use their nameserves, now 30% if you don't when "boost" is ticked). This came into effect on 4th September.

I found this out yesterday as I recevied an offer on a domain a day before they introduced it (still in negotation) and they are still insisting that if the sale does go ahead that I pay the higher commission even though the offer was made before it came into effect. Infact they were initially trying to charge me 30% even though the domain is on their nameservers so should be on the lower commission rate, I had to point that out to them before they admitted that part was a mistake, you'd have thought they'd check these things.

Last edited:
This is more about a "boost" for GoDaddy's bottom line. Because if all names are auto-enrolled, that's a lot of names being promised more prominence...

I believe the 'boost' feature only works on domains listed with BIN prices, yet the extra commission is being charged across the entire portfolio even on domains without BIN prices.

I believe the 'boost' feature only works on domains listed with BIN prices, yet the extra commission is being charged across the entire portfolio even on domains without BIN prices.

I didn't realsie it would affect the whole portfolio, I assumed it would be just those with BIN prices.. glad I unticked it now!

I didn't realsie it would affect the whole portfolio, I assumed it would be just those with BIN prices.. glad I unticked it now!
Thats's how i read it the other day but i would advise people to double check.

Another thing worth mentioning, I recently sold a name that was suspended during negotiations and i was charged the full commission rate even though the NS were pointed to Afternic’s.

Last edited:
Another thing worth mentioning, I recently sold a name that was suspended during negotiations and i was charged the full commission rate even though the NS were pointed to Afternic’s.
Been caught out by this a couple of times by this too. Even though the domain meets their requirements of still being on their nameservers suspended or not

Been caught out by this a couple of times by this too. Even though the domain meets their requirements of still being on their nameservers suspended or not
I did renew the domain shortly after accepting the offer as well, so the NS would have gone live again.

I queried this with GoDaddy at the time and my payment was put on hold for 6 weeks whilst they investigated it, resulting in their favour.

Back