"Biggest IT outage of all time"

Weird things started happening last night. We had to login to the Channel 4 app and Discovery+ app again: usually they remember your details.

Looks like chaos at the airports.

Didn't realize so much of the world ran on Microsoft software. It's surprising this is the first one.
Was watching a documentary about 6-7 years back. Local German Councils, or German states were all running on Linux.

https://www.theregister.com/2018/07/27/lower_saxony_to_dump_linux/ - I don't know if this was the story I watched, or another one.

All working perfectly until the Microsoft guys started bribing top politicians. Then they suddenly moved from something that was free, worked well and stable, to Microsoft which is crazily expensive and as we can see, needs a lot of security updates, which sometimes go wrong.

After 10 years or so, they are moving back to Linux. They've had enough, and more German authorities are following them back to Linux.

Its a update/patch issued by Crowdstrike so apparently nothing to do with Microsoft. I mean who pushes patches out on a Friday 😀
I've always enforced this within my business. No major updates to anything on a Friday.

In fact, any major upgrades are done at the start of the week allowing us to mend any cock-ups well in time for the weekend!

These issues today though are a massive wake up call for businesses that one company/product could cause so much hassle.

Microsoft have a fix straight out of my tech playbook - switch it off and on again...

"We've received feedback from customers that several reboots (as many as 15 have been reported) may be required, but overall feedback is that reboots are an effective troubleshooting step at this stage."

Was watching a documentary about 6-7 years back. Local German Councils, or German states were all running on Linux.

https://www.theregister.com/2018/07/27/lower_saxony_to_dump_linux/ - I don't know if this was the story I watched, or another one.

All working perfectly until the Microsoft guys started bribing top politicians. Then they suddenly moved from something that was free, worked well and stable, to Microsoft which is crazily expensive and as we can see, needs a lot of security updates, which sometimes go wrong.

After 10 years or so, they are moving back to Linux. They've had enough, and more German authorities are following them back to Linux.

When my kids went to school in Spain, the schools used Linux too.

These issues today though are a massive wake up call for businesses that one company/product could cause so much hassle.
All the eggs are in one basket nowadays. It's a recipe for a scrambled egg shitshow.

Last edited:
Back