Blog post

On 10th July Ryan started a thread on Acorn titled "Why not build something positive?", in which he welcomed the fact that most of Acorn's regular contributors had left.

In that thread I asked him at least twice to tell us exactly what he'd said to Aaron, but he said he was too busy to do so. Make of that what you will.

The entire thread, along with my account, have since been deleted, but the first page is on the Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20240710...eads/why-not-build-something-positive.181623/

Last edited:
I'm surprised at how little activity there is on old corn now. If the odd few that post domain auctions didn't post there would be nothing left.

It's a bad sign when a forum's proprietor becomes its main contributor, but he was warned.

Even Ryan hasn't posted for over a week. I wonder if Jeff and Mo have had a word with him?

It could be replaced with a cut down version of the site with one column with links to people's auctions, another with the feeds from random domain news websites, and then a text box that you can submit text and it comes up with a like and a canned message from H Meskonsints.

There could also be a text box that automatically registers everything typed into it as a .it.com domain.

As with much else, Helmuts is completely inconsistent when it comes to negative posts about subdomains.

The two comments above about it.com subdomains would surely be deleted if they were made on Acorn today, but he's quite happy to retain historic threads that are almost entirely negative about uk.com subdomains. For example this thread, started in 2017, revived in 2019, and revived again in August 2023:

https://www.acorndomains.co.uk/threads/are-uk-com-domains-really-that-bad.147305/

Note that Helmuts liked Edwin's post (#5) back then, but would presumably delete it if it were made today because everything Edwin says is equally applicable to it.com subdomains.

However, my first post seems to have derailed the thread, in which the OP asked the real story behind GreyWing's blog post.

I don't know the answer, but Ryan is well aware of the blog post and has had over three weeks and several invitations to respond on a platform friendly to him (Acorn). Given that he's chosen not to do so, I think it's safe to infer that the blog post is substantially true.

The only thing I think Greywing may have got wrong is the thread that triggered the legal threats. I think it's more likely to have been the thread discussing Ryan's finances than the one revealing the data breach. No evidence, just my opinion...

I think it's more likely to have been the thread discussing Ryan's finances than the one revealing the data breach. No evidence, just my opinion...
Almost certainly as it was casting negative financial opinions on his family’s business which probably on reflection should not have been discussed on a public forum.

I'm surprised they left this one up. I thought for sure the whole thread would have disappeared from the face of the Earth.

I'm surprised they left this one up. I thought for sure the whole thread would have disappeared from the face of the Earth.

Yes, but other than your post (tut-tut) the thread is quite positive, with three people saying they've bought one and another thinking about it.

Anyway, good to see you back. You've got 25½ hours to tweak your logo so I can vote for it. There are 94 members and only 35 have voted so far, so still all to play for. Think of the glory when 4M is up there with X, Facebook, etc, and you can tell your grandchildren that you designed the logo...

Yes, but other than your post (tut-tut) the thread is quite positive, with three people saying they've bought one and another thinking about it.

Anyway, good to see you back. You've got 25½ hours to tweak your logo so I can vote for it. There are 94 members and only 35 have voted so far, so still all to play for. Think of the glory when 4M is up there with X, Facebook, etc, and you can tell your grandchildren that you designed the logo...
I’ve prioritised the office room unpacking, the monitors are being set up as we speak 😂

The only thing I think Greywing may have got wrong is the thread that triggered the legal threats

So do I, it's just that at that point I hadn't seen hard evidence for it and wanted to limit the blog post to what I could 100% verify. I posted the same in the post below shortly afterwards, but same as yourself, it's a opinion, and whilst there is strong evidence for it, there isn't proof.

Or at least auto lists them as 5 figure premiums on sedo
I don't know why, but on Porkbun when you search for a domain, it shows shit.com subdomains at the top of the results every time. Did they shovel them some cash or something?

I don't know why, but on Porkbun when you search for a domain, it shows shit.com subdomains at the top of the results every time. Did they shovel them some cash or something?
That’s sad, I really liked Porkbun and actually have a few domains with them.

I also see they’ve wrote their own blog post on their one blog, in 3rd person perspective, like Helmuts does.

"to Meet the Surging Demand for Tech-Related Domains" 😂

Yes, they must meet that demand with domains that don't sell...

It's like the jab that didn't stop you spreading it but you must have it.

• Haha
Reactions: ben
That’s sad, I really liked Porkbun and actually have a few domains with them.

I also see they’ve wrote their own blog post on their one blog, in 3rd person perspective, like Helmuts does.
Porkbun are awful to deal with - I haven't supported them at all at ukbackorder for a while because of all the problems. They even get a special mention in my FAQ.
They won't accept nominet transfers for domains inwards. They won't accept tag changes to their tag. They won't accept domains changed to nameservers of their choosing for authorisation.
No they insist on you creating TXT records for the domain. This is completely unnecessary and a PITA.
I don't think they even understand what uk domains are.
Sorry for changing the thread's direction I just don't think they should be recommended as a good place for UK domainers when there are so many better places.

Porkbun are awful to deal with - I haven't supported them at all at ukbackorder for a while because of all the problems. They even get a special mention in my FAQ.
They won't accept nominet transfers for domains inwards. They won't accept tag changes to their tag. They won't accept domains just changed to their nameservers.
They insist on you creating TXT records for the domain. This is completely unnecessary and a PITA.
Sorry for changing the thread's direction I just don't think they should be recommended as a good place for UK domainers when there are so many better places.
An oddly satisfying experience.

They won't accept nominet transfers for domains inwards. They won't accept tag changes to their tag. They won't accept domains changed to nameservers of their choosing for authorisation.
No they insist on you creating TXT records for the domain. This is completely unnecessary and a PITA.
I’ve only ever used them for IDN’s, now I remember why.

Back