Buyers who request a TAG change but don't update registrant data

JohnP

Reaction score
Trophy points
I have a number of domains still under my name that have been sold months/years ago where the buyer was happy for a simple tag change but never updated the registrant information / email address - hence show up in my Nominet account but under different registrars.

Just a quick question how best to mange this gradually growing problem in terms of numbers (well not to me) but possibly the buyers somewhere down the line?

Best Regards

JohnP

This is common at ukbackorder. Many people do a tag change but don't update registrants. You can email them and point out that they don't legally own the domain until the details are changed (usually frightens them), or you can offer to change the admin email in your nominet account so that it moves off your account and into theirs. However Nominet plans in the future to allow all tags to do registrant changes apparently so hopefully that'll put an end to it as you can do to the changes first.

Thanks - not that concerned about it and don't need the extra admin, but just interested in approach taken by others to this issue.

I sometimes forget to change the registrant details when I have a domain transferred to me, but the regular Nominet Self Tag audit picks them up and badgers me to get them updated!

I have a number of domains still under my name that have been sold months/years ago where the buyer was happy for a simple tag change but never updated the registrant information / email address - hence show up in my Nominet account but under different registrars.

Just a quick question how best to mange this gradually growing problem in terms of numbers (well not to me) but possibly the buyers somewhere down the line?

Best Regards

JohnP

Before release, I do the Registrant information / email address change. Takes a minute or two and saves any issues further down the line.

I always outline on emails it is not legally yours until registrant changed; this has always been sufficient, apart from once many many moons ago until it dropped.

I had a client most recently that had done this, emailed about 3 times asking them to move it properly. Almost came round to renewal time, I simply moved the domain back to my tag and nameservers. 2 days later I got an email asking why the domain wasn't working anymore and if I could help. I said sure, go and read the last 3 emails I sent and come back to me.

Back