Changing web address

Cav

Reaction score
Trophy points
From a person who does not really understand how such things work….. i.e. me
If you were to change your long established website to a new web address would it affect your Google presence and domain authority?

Google treats each node independent of each other, this means (theoretically) that www. and non-www are independent of each other.

So that being said, if you change to a new web address it will be INDEPENDENT of anything you have built before hand. You can 301 redirect to the new domain from the old, but there is no guarantee that it'll be passed, and that is from experience.

Google isn't a black box, it is a complex bundle of different algorithms working together. It can not magically figured out that X domain is now at Y. You can hint at it, sure. But then the properties of X and Y are different, and the 301 doesn't mean that Google will now know that Y is X, it can have a good idea of it - but Google will build it's own data on Y and then rank it accordingly.

I think 301's passing possible authority become permanent after a certain period of time (decided algorithmically, not defined or hard coded). So you could 301, fingers crossed it passes the authority, and if it doesn't - switch back.

But there is a lot of unknowns, and done on a case by case basis. Hire a professional if it is make or break.

Back