ChatGPT vs Google

ben

Reaction score
Trophy points
Anybody else already use ChatGPT for pretty much everything they want to know? I've totally left Google aside from when I want to check something small and immediate, like news or something equally up to date, or something that needs specific searches.

I have the app on my iPhone and it's just so quick to use, the voice chat feature is brilliant and is so responsive, you feel like you're having a genuine conversation. As opposed to something like a voice assistant like Siri or Google home, for example.

I think it has the potential to change things in the search space.

I find that chatgpt is pretty retarded. G equally so, because they surface a lot of shit from websites that have used gpt to create the content, or they try their damndest to "answer" the question you put in the search box from a snippet from reddit, despite it being unanswerable in one sentence.

I wouldn't use G AI to find something out, because it will be programmed by them to lie and has the same problem as chatgpt - it doesn't know what is real and what isn't. It's just guessing the next word.

Go to the source and find the answer.

Literally never used chatgpt for info. I've played around with it to see what the fuss is about, but I don't personally like that kind of thing - I want to know both where the information is coming from and I want to be able to compare what different people are saying, not have it combined into one answer.

Also when I was playing around with it, I asked some specific questions that I knew the answer to and half the time it got it wrong or answered a different question to the one I was asking. This was a while ago so maybe it's got a bit better since, but I just don't get the hype.

But then again, I also hate siri - never seen the appeal in wanting to talk to your phone / speaker. We have a nest doorbell so do have some google homes and hubs kicking around, but we have the mic turned off on all of those.

Having said that, we do use it a bit in the business. Well, I don't personally, but one of our editors has been playing around with AI content writers for some tier 2 sites.

I was reading something about AI Poisoning the other week. They were saying that we maybe already at peak AI when it comes to opinions from it. This is due to the fact that some will now try to manipulate it to produce the results they want, Garbage In Garbage out.

I use it to fix grammar mistakes in blog posts etc before they go live. I use Google's voice to text tool, it's about 98% accurate, but still misses the odd bit, so I throw it into chatGPT and ask it to correct the Grammar and Spelling. Saves me a lot of time when putting bits together.

Having said that, we do use it a bit in the business. Well, I don't personally, but one of our editors has been playing around with AI content writers for some tier 2 sites.
My worry would be that Google could spot it. Tto even run it through an AI detector first is worrying. Some of these detector sites use Google to bounce it through before giving it a result, Maybe they are even owned by Google themselves. I'm sure Google would be asking why are they checking this for AI if they wrote it themselves? Then working out that most people would be checking because it was written by AI, then it hangs back and watches out for whatever site that text appears on and penalises it

Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid though :(

I was reading something about AI Poisoning the other week. They were saying that we maybe already at peak AI when it comes to opinions from it. This is due to the fact that some will now try to manipulate it to produce the results they want, Garbage In Garbage out.

Yeah that's the concern, also something I've wondered about before - AI manipulation could become the next seo.

If AI is just machine learning based on the current serps, then if you flooded it with conflicting information it could be influenced. Either for specific gain (eg: pushing a product, service or venue as the best) or for political purposes.

Thinking about it, it would probably be quite easy for a local restaurant, plumber etc.. to influence chatgpt for queries such as "find me a plumber in norwich".

With parasite seo quite well established already, these posts could be on high profile news sites, so it's not like it would be hard to do.

The other thing I was wondering about is whether people will start getting annoyed with chatgpt using their info and might end up blocking the bots. For example, our UK sites get most of their search traffic from google, so we could block the chatgpt bots (which I'm assuming also blocks bing) without really affecting us.

If small publishers did things like that then you're going to get amplification of the potential manipulation as it will have less "real" info to draw on, particularly for smaller things.

My worry would be that Google could spot it. Tto even run it through an AI detector first is worrying. Some of these detector sites use Google to bounce it through before giving it a result, Maybe they are even owned by Google themselves. I'm sure Google would be asking why are they checking this for AI if they wrote it themselves? Then working out that most people would be checking because it was written by AI, then it hangs back and watches out for whatever site that text appears on and penalises it

Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid though :(

We're just playing around with it to see what happens, and only on tier 2 sites, so not like they're our main money sites.

The content is pretty much what you'd expect, it's just rehashing what's already on the web. Although our editor is getting better at injecting some flair into the posts to make them seem less robotic.

Back