Hello!

alan

Reaction score
Trophy points
Hi everyone!

I'm Alan. I'm relatively new to the world of domaining, only really taking an active interest over the past year. I have bought and sold a couple of premium domain names in my time for my own projects, but nothing to write home about.

I've been a software developer for the past ~15 years, and I've tried my hand at building a public-facing UK drop catcher (Domain Parachute) as a platform to hone my developer skills, play around with new tech, and to learn more about the domain industry and community in general.

I've been mostly a lurker here and in the other place, but I hope to learn and contribute more as this forum develops. 🙂

Welcome, Alan, and good luck with Domain Parachute.

I really like the fonts, site layout and design of Domain Parachute. It's really clear and welcoming. You've done well with it.

Welcome to the site by the way

Yes, site looks really nice. I like the whole live dropping interface, I fancied doing something like that myself but I haven't got around to it 😁. Very nice!

Thanks for the UI feedback @username and @GreyWing ! The search looks nice but it's pretty basic for now. I need to improve the performance, and add some meaningful AI magic to make it even more useful. e.g. categorisation, search by single dictionary word etc. More to come, that's for sure! 🙂

I've been a software developer for the past ~15 years, and I've tried my hand at building a public-facing UK drop catcher (Domain Parachute) as a platform to hone my developer skills, play around with new tech, and to learn more about the domain industry and community in general.
Nice looking site Alan. What font styles do you use?

Looks like Gilroy for headings and Inter for copy.

I really like the logo @alan, how did you come up with the idea for that? I am such a big fan of minimalist logos.

Thanks @Cav . I'm a backend dev and a friend is doing the design & UI. I'm relaying all this feedback to him. As @ben said, it's "Gilroy font pairing with Inter".

@ben : the credit goes to my creative friend, the logo is his genius. He likes the minimalist look too. We both wanted to keep the idea of the "dot" in the logo, and it just evolved as we tossed the ideas back and forth.

Thanks @Cav . I'm a backend dev and a friend is doing the design & UI. I'm relaying all this feedback to him. As @ben said, it's "Gilroy font pairing with Inter".

@ben : the credit goes to my creative friend, the logo is his genius. He likes the minimalist look too. We both wanted to keep the idea of the "dot" in the logo, and it just evolved as we tossed the ideas back and forth.
I really don't know what it is, but I genuinely relate to the "dot" thing. No matter what minimalist logo I am designing, there is always a dot somewhere. But yeah, logo is banging mate.

Welcome and love the look and feel of your site. Maybe just need to run the lists first though, as it lists ones renewed and not dropping etc

Welcome and love the look and feel of your site. Maybe just need to run the lists first though, as it lists ones renewed and not dropping etc
Thanks for checking out the site, @Ant! Yes, the search does include domains that may have since renewed. These will be excluded shortly.

Looks very smart.

Being able to filter based on length and tld would be usefull.

Loading more results initially, and morecwhen you scroll down could be good.

Using actualnlinks not javascript for the domain pages would be more browser and user friendly and also would mean not losing all the scrolling/waiting when opening a specific domain link.

Love the whois output styling :)

Thanks for your feedback, @astutiumRob !

We hope to introduce those types of helpful search filters soon (registration date, length, TLD, dictionary word, exclude numbers and hyphens, etc.). The search is reading from a database right now which doesn't help its performance and it feels a bit jumpy. I hope to move it over to Elasticsearch soon, and then we can really start to expand on it. Debating whether to move to a streaming API also. I hope to use generative AI to categorise and eventually score expiring domains so you can quickly find the best ones. Much to do! 🥳

I've passed on the feedback about using links vs javascript too. 🙂

Back