Idea for business

ben

Reaction score
Trophy points
I have ADHD. I find it consistently hard to stay focused on one thing. This is how my life is going at the moment:

1. Great idea comes to mind, abandon everything I'm already working on and spend the entire day flat out working to build the foundations of this new idea's brand.
2. Work on said idea excitedly for 2 weeks
3. Excitement fades out, work slows down
4. Maybe 2 months in, bored now
5. WAIT! That's a great idea.
6. Return to step 1.

Anyone else?

I've noticed that I am really efficient at the following things:

1. Generating really good business ideas.
2. Building a brand from scratch. The logo, the colours, the personality, the website, the platforms, the architecture and how it works etc.
3. Return to step 1

My therapist has told me I am a perfectionist. The reason why I can't complete most of my projects is that I am constantly moving the bar higher and higher and higher. What most people might get done in 3 weeks, I will do in 1 day and then I'll subconsciously say, "Oh, well that was easy, perhaps I need to do more?", "Perhaps the website needs more work.", "Perhaps 13 iterations of the logo is not enough? Time for logo_final_final_3_final_this_time.svg". Eventually, I set the bar so high I outskill myself, and that is when I get turned off the idea — because I don't see the instant gratification anymore.

So, I have an idea :ROFLMAO:

Please give me some feedback on this. What if I created a website called, say, Buy a Brand. Something that captures that idea. On that website, I build brand packages that people can simply buy that would include:

1. The business name, logo and colour palette as well as brand guidelines and assets etc.
2. The domain names and associated IP like social media handles and whatnot.
3. Perhaps a simple website which could complicate things, so maybe not.
4. Other stuff which may be useful as a startup.

Simply add it to your basket and buy a brand for X amount.

Cuts out tons of legwork for startups who just want to hit the ground running. I know now that there are quite a few websites out there doing this sort of thing hands-off, but I want this to be more hands-on, with clients being able to hire me ad-hoc for bespoke buys from my skillset. ie. setting up a website, maybe changing the logo or working on further brand assets etc. installing software or web infrastructure.

The benefits for me are, I can work on tons of brands and just sell them when I get bored.

Reactions: Ant
It is the right path for you I would say. Be creative and then let it run itself with just occasional involvement. Keep it simple and involve tasks that press your buttons.

Probably best to avoid ideas that involves long term commitments.

• 100%
Reactions: ben
Classifying yourself as being able to generate really good business ideas, without bringing it to market and seeing it flourish seems a bit generous. Also, "great ideas" are subjective, and unfortunately, your own opinion of your own ideas will always be biased.

The bit you're most interested in doing is the quickest and easiest bit, whilst also being the least impactful for an early stage startup. The reason you stop at that point is because the next steps are unknown, more difficult, more time consuming, less interesting, require genuine investment of time and money, or all of the above.

Also, branding isn't a business idea. Well, not outside of the business idea you want feedback on.

In the early stages, people creating businesses are more interested in the revenue generation bit rather than what font and size they should be using for business cards. If you create a micro business that has already proven value, and you list that for sale, that has legs.

What you describe above is creating the branding for a mock business, kind of like what you would do for college or uni. As a business, I don't think it carries any mileage.

I'm doubtful there's a market for this really.

New start-ups with money would just hire a real dev/design/branding company.

New startups on a very limited budget, well there's https://themeforest.net/top-sellers

When it comes to launching new online businesses, web design is pretty much a commodity now with platforms like Wix.com and various WP pagebuilders.

Like @seemly touches on, the hard stuff is generating the revenue. Bootrapping a brand/design is trivial.

Maybe employment would suit you better? No chance of overthinking, you just do the jobs you are told to do?

Maybe employment would suit you better? No chance of overthinking, you just do the jobs you are told to do?
Really interesting take, but I'll take a hard pass. I know there's a market for it, because the market exists already, I'm simply expanding on the offerings that already use "AI" to create a logo and match a domain name to it.

Back