Independent & unaffiliated forum

adm

helpful admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy points
As recent practice has demonstrated, managing a community forum is not just a bed of roses and can be challenging.

Of course, it becomes considerably easier if your only focus is on monetization, advertisements, sponsors, and you have no qualms about censoring free speech or anything that doesn’t align with the prevailing agenda.

But will that attract and retain a genuine audience? Opposing views, free thinkers, and scholars are essential for a vibrant and dynamic community to flourish.

Most who left Acorn over the years (and decades) for these very reasons had no intention of returning.

The forum experienced a slow, painful decline, reaching its nadir recently as its current owner fixated on dubious non-UK domains, associated with questionable "fakers until they are makers", maintains a "happy go lucky" attitude, and imposed unwarranted member bans, all while ignoring the real issues. I won’t list all the problems as most are already aware.

A new forum was welcomed with a fresh wave of enthusiasm, igniting a sort of renaissance among domainers.
It was especially promising that the forum was started by someone perceived as "neutral," not a rival or an authority figure, but someone modest with good intentions, aiming to create a new space for those still interested in .uk domains to engage in a pleasant and productive atmosphere.

Alas, it didn't last long and the founder had to bow down to the pressure of censorship based on unjustified threats.

This is why a proper forum should not be managed by a single individual who can be easily threatened or manipulated.

A proper forum should also operate within a jurisdiction that supports free speech.

A forum should be governed by the community and its members, with all content owned by the members, and backup copies kept and accessible by appointed members and/or non-affiliated parties.

I am here to help kickstart such a forum, even though I never had an interest in running a domaining forum, despite numerous opportunities to launch and propagate one.

I am doing this now because UKDNF demonstrated that the community is not only ripe for change but is embracing it wholeheartedly and eager to reignite what has long been lost with a fresh start. The number of email invitations I received to join UKDNF was touching and uplifting.
I couldn't stand by and watch what happened to the newly born and how indefensibly and inexcusably it was decimated.

I do not seek any authority on this forum, not even as a moderator. This is not started as DL's or my forum, and for anyone who might hold a grudge against me in this often harsh domaining rivalry—join in, everyone shall be an equal member, and you might even have more influence on the forum than I do.

I will be offering several positions for admin/moderators based on my 19 years of experience knowing "who is who" in this community and aiming to be as diverse as possible. Additional admin/moderators will be voted on by the forum community. Any decisions regarding the forum will require a unanimous vote from the council members. I will retain one vote to ensure this forum does not "go to the dogs" and has the necessary resilience to withstand any attempts to suppress and intimidate an open community.

Last edited:
How do I report this post as spam? Just kidding... I wholeheartedly agree that a forum thrives on diverse opinions and the participation of free thinkers and am glad that this community has opened.

Back