Investment Tips

seemly

Reaction score
Trophy points
For now, this is a placeholder for any and all investment tips, suggestions, or questions.

I will update this post with any and all key/interesting posts within this thread, acting as a kind of table of contents.

Last edited:
This reply was originally found on UKDNF, and was in reply about buy-to-let as an investment option.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the entirety of what was written, but it gives a bloody good gist of just how good buy-to-let can be as an investment option.

I can't remember the name of the original poster, so if you know who it was and they are here, please point me in their direction and I will attribute to them appropriately.

EDIT: This was originally written by @Jason, over at UKDNF.

==============================

I've invested in many different things over the years, some very good, some bloody awful! My best investments in terms of % return are undoubtedly domains. The greatest was a website I bought about 18 years ago for £4k which after revamping the site made me over £1m in ad revenue in about a 5 year period. Some other domains I bought off various old Acorners also yielded fantastic returns in those days. Alas it's not so easy nowadays! Domain catches and flips from Domainlore, Snapnames etc can of course give an astronomical profits in percentage terms. I've had a small number of 5 figure sales and quite a lot of 4 figure ones over the years from catches. These strokes of luck don't really come often enough to add up to a life-changing amount of money but are very nice bonuses when they happen!

Property

In recent years I have been investing in property and have become a landlord. I like this because it's a decent dependable income and substantial wealth is built up in the background as the properties go up in value. I started in 2020. I found myself with a large cash balance having just sold my second home in the country. I could see that with the £hundreds of billions the government was blowing on all kinds of nonsense when they were terrorising the country, there was going to be a big wave of inflation round the corner. In such times, if you do nothing cash in the bank will quickly evaporate as savings account interest rates are much lower than inflation, wiping out big chunks of your savings. Although I do own gold, IMO Property beats gold because you buy it on margin with a mortgage so you stand to gain the full uplift in the property's value, but you only have to stake 25% of the funds to buy it. So if both appreciate more or less at the same rate, the property will be 4X the return + rent as well. Gold is important though and I'll get to that below.

2020 seemed to me an ideal time to invest in property as you could get 5, even 10 year fixed rate mortgages at just over 2% and the government even cut the stamp duty temporarily, no doubt so the ruling class could take advantage of the situation (although you do have to pay an extra 3% stamp duty for investment properties).

I bought 4 rental properties in Cambridge where I live. I chose properties which I thought were a good price but were in good areas (to reduce hassles with noisey neighbours/ burglaries etc). I got three of the properties at a discount compared with recent sales on the same road because they needed a fair bit of work, but the renovation costs worked out about half what the discount was so they turned out to be bargains. I put in good quality furnishings and decent brand appliances so I could charge more rent for a higher standard offering and attract a better class of tenant.

One property I also made some alterations to. It was a 3 bedroom house with an integral garage so we converted the garage into a 4th bedroom. This is relatively easy to do and only cost about £7-8k but it will have added at least £400 per month to the rent, so it's an excellent investment within an investment. Also because the house had a separate toilet from the main bathroom and this was next to the master bedroom, with a bit of wall-moving and jiggling about we were able to turn it into an en suite for the master bedroom, making the property significantly more appealing to tenants or if we sell in the future to purchasers. New kitchen, new bathroom, new flooring, new central heating system, a few new windows and a complete redecoration. Purchase cost: £393k, spent £40k on renovation and estate agent valued it at £550k when we had finished 6 months later. It's a really lovely house now and very profitable in terms of rent. Also came with solar panels which I may nab for myself in the future.

Within a year and a half the 4 properties went up 20% in value mainly due to the uplift in the market but in part due to the renovations. This nearly doubled my investment because I bought the properties with 25-30% deposits. Including the rental income on top of that I more than doubled my money in about the first 2 years. I use a letting agent to fully manage the properties and deal with all issues. They have been very good and managed to rent all 4 properties out at a higher rent than I expected, more than covering their own fees. All tenants have been professional or post grad Cambridge University students, not likely to jeopardise a bright future with not paying rent etc. Since then there have been periodic rent increases on top as well. Most months there have been no issues or extra costs arising from any of the properties. Every few months something does crop up but the agent handles it and usually it's under £100 to fix. No regrets so far.

I would say the opportunity is not really there at the moment. The ideal circumstances for property investment are low interest rates and rising house prices. The interest rates are double what they were, which would eat into the rental income and property prices have been pretty stagnant the last year. There is no doubt the current higher interest rates are holding the market back at the moment. Rents are still increasing though and this will gradually absorb much of the higher interest rates while they last. The housing market has always gone in fits and starts. If you can get in in a favourable part of the cycle you can get off to a good start but long term it's a winner no matter when you get in.

One other point I would make is that it's not true that you have to sell an investment property to reap the benefits of it going up in value. When you remortgage, the property will likely be worth more due to the rise in value since you last mortgaged it. Property prices on average have nearly doubled every decade so over periods of years there can be really significant increases in equity sitting there. When you come to remortgage you can "withdraw" the equity you have gained from price increases by mortgaging 75% of the property's present value. E.g. you buy a property for £400k with a £100k 25% deposit. 10 years later it is worth £800k. Your existing loan is still £300k, so you now have £500k equity instead of the £100k originally invested. Since the property is worth £800k and you must leave 25% deposit (£200k) as deposit for the new mortgage, you could remortgage with a £600k mortgage on it (as long as the rent covers the interest and a bit extra). £300k would be used to pay of the old mortgage and the other £300k can be withdrawn as a nice bonus for you. It's tax free too because it is technically a loan rather than earnings, and the tenants are paying the interest on that loan in perpetuity for you with their rent. It's no different to the original mortgage that you took out, you put in 25% and the bank lent you the rest. It's just now because of the equity that inflation has gifted you, there's £300k extra that can be taken out. This is how many landlords have ploughed their increasing equity gifted by inflation into new deposits enabling them to buy more and more properties.

GreyWing you mentioned you expect interest rates to go to 10%+ in due course and this is a risk for BTL mortgage holders. That is possible, but this would push up rents as landlords try to cover the higher interest rates. This has already been happening in the last few years, so landlords are at least partially protected from this threat by rent increases. But landlords should certainly have a reserve fund from which to dip into to ride out the storm. Politically, double digit interest rates would not be acceptable as potentially millions of home owners would default on their mortgages or go bankrupt. It would be the end of the ruling party if they stood by and allowed that to happen to a big chunk of the electorate. Also for interest rates to go anywhere near that level, inflation would have to be wildly high in double digits. If that were the case property values would go through the roof. We'd be back in the 1970s again when the average property price went from £4k at the start of the decade to £19k at the end. The effect of this would be an investor's dream - the inflation would very quickly pay off the property for you e.g. if you put down £1k in 1970 to buy a house with a £3k loan, by the end of the decade you have a £3k loan but £16k in equity. And by then the pound would be worth 1/5 of its former value so rents would be much much higher, far exceeding the mortgage payments on that now rather small looking £3k loan. You would have become 3.5 times as rich as you were at the start, owning 84% of the property rather than 25%.

Last edited:
Bitcoin!

I was reminded of an old forum post I found 10+ years ago, where a guy successfully managed to buy a pizza for 10,000 bitcoins.

At current worth, that pizza would cost £443,980,000 (yes, nearly £444 million).

Renovations nowadays are usually net losses unless you get good value on the materials/labour or do it yourself.

I think it is around 50% loss on cost was the most recent estimate, due to fairly stagnant house prices (relatively) in comparison to the price of labour & raw materials. So you build a £60K extension on your £400K house, you now have a £430K value house with 60K down in renovations. Obviously you can wait out the market but then the opportunity cost of your £460K (now worth £430K) could creep in.

And this wasn't taken into account increase in mortgage rates - which could make things even harder. Especially if you have thin margins

Property. If you have the deposit, even with the higher interest rates, with the way rents are and are likely to keep going, you can't beat it. Well unless Labour F' it up of course.

Gold is a better capital investment, but you only see returns when you sell. A well managed BTL, will not only give you capital growth but a monthly income also.

I can only speak for the London market, but a house that I was renting out in 2019 for £2,200 is now achieving £3,000pcm, and
people are fighting over them. It is also a bit easier for me to manage day to day.

Stamp duty is a killer, and a lot of BTL investors have left the London market because you need over £30k to buy a £600k property. That being
said, if you can stomach that, the monthly return with the rents so high can still be lucrative. You could say the same for selling stocks if a depressed market or if they are down, you'll only be able to sell at a massive loss. If you wanted to dispose of a house quickly you can stick it in auction and have your money in a few weeks.

The one thing I would say is steer well clear of any new builds and anything with a service charge. These have reason by almost 300% in some of the blocks we look after since covid.

This reply was originally found on UKDNF, and was in reply about buy-to-let as an investment option.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the entirety of what was written, but it gives a bloody good gist of just how good buy-to-let can be as an investment option.

I can't remember the name of the original poster, so if you know who it was and they are here, please point me in their direction and I will attribute to them appropriately.

==============================

I've invested in many different things over the years, some very good, some bloody awful! My best investments in terms of % return are undoubtedly domains. The greatest was a website I bought about 18 years ago for £4k which after revamping the site made me over £1m in ad revenue in about a 5 year period. Some other domains I bought off various old Acorners also yielded fantastic returns in those days. Alas it's not so easy nowadays! Domain catches and flips from Domainlore, Snapnames etc can of course give an astronomical profits in percentage terms. I've had a small number of 5 figure sales and quite a lot of 4 figure ones over the years from catches. These strokes of luck don't really come often enough to add up to a life-changing amount of money but are very nice bonuses when they happen!

Property

In recent years I have been investing in property and have become a landlord. I like this because it's a decent dependable income and substantial wealth is built up in the background as the properties go up in value. I started in 2020. I found myself with a large cash balance having just sold my second home in the country. I could see that with the £hundreds of billions the government was blowing on all kinds of nonsense when they were terrorising the country, there was going to be a big wave of inflation round the corner. In such times, if you do nothing cash in the bank will quickly evaporate as savings account interest rates are much lower than inflation, wiping out big chunks of your savings. Although I do own gold, IMO Property beats gold because you buy it on margin with a mortgage so you stand to gain the full uplift in the property's value, but you only have to stake 25% of the funds to buy it. So if both appreciate more or less at the same rate, the property will be 4X the return + rent as well. Gold is important though and I'll get to that below.

2020 seemed to me an ideal time to invest in property as you could get 5, even 10 year fixed rate mortgages at just over 2% and the government even cut the stamp duty temporarily, no doubt so the ruling class could take advantage of the situation (although you do have to pay an extra 3% stamp duty for investment properties).

I bought 4 rental properties in Cambridge where I live. I chose properties which I thought were a good price but were in good areas (to reduce hassles with noisey neighbours/ burglaries etc). I got three of the properties at a discount compared with recent sales on the same road because they needed a fair bit of work, but the renovation costs worked out about half what the discount was so they turned out to be bargains. I put in good quality furnishings and decent brand appliances so I could charge more rent for a higher standard offering and attract a better class of tenant.

One property I also made some alterations to. It was a 3 bedroom house with an integral garage so we converted the garage into a 4th bedroom. This is relatively easy to do and only cost about £7-8k but it will have added at least £400 per month to the rent, so it's an excellent investment within an investment. Also because the house had a separate toilet from the main bathroom and this was next to the master bedroom, with a bit of wall-moving and jiggling about we were able to turn it into an en suite for the master bedroom, making the property significantly more appealing to tenants or if we sell in the future to purchasers. New kitchen, new bathroom, new flooring, new central heating system, a few new windows and a complete redecoration. Purchase cost: £393k, spent £40k on renovation and estate agent valued it at £550k when we had finished 6 months later. It's a really lovely house now and very profitable in terms of rent. Also came with solar panels which I may nab for myself in the future.

Within a year and a half the 4 properties went up 20% in value mainly due to the uplift in the market but in part due to the renovations. This nearly doubled my investment because I bought the properties with 25-30% deposits. Including the rental income on top of that I more than doubled my money in about the first 2 years. I use a letting agent to fully manage the properties and deal with all issues. They have been very good and managed to rent all 4 properties out at a higher rent than I expected, more than covering their own fees. All tenants have been professional or post grad Cambridge University students, not likely to jeopardise a bright future with not paying rent etc. Since then there have been periodic rent increases on top as well. Most months there have been no issues or extra costs arising from any of the properties. Every few months something does crop up but the agent handles it and usually it's under £100 to fix. No regrets so far.

I would say the opportunity is not really there at the moment. The ideal circumstances for property investment are low interest rates and rising house prices. The interest rates are double what they were, which would eat into the rental income and property prices have been pretty stagnant the last year. There is no doubt the current higher interest rates are holding the market back at the moment. Rents are still increasing though and this will gradually absorb much of the higher interest rates while they last. The housing market has always gone in fits and starts. If you can get in in a favourable part of the cycle you can get off to a good start but long term it's a winner no matter when you get in.

One other point I would make is that it's not true that you have to sell an investment property to reap the benefits of it going up in value. When you remortgage, the property will likely be worth more due to the rise in value since you last mortgaged it. Property prices on average have nearly doubled every decade so over periods of years there can be really significant increases in equity sitting there. When you come to remortgage you can "withdraw" the equity you have gained from price increases by mortgaging 75% of the property's present value. E.g. you buy a property for £400k with a £100k 25% deposit. 10 years later it is worth £800k. Your existing loan is still £300k, so you now have £500k equity instead of the £100k originally invested. Since the property is worth £800k and you must leave 25% deposit (£200k) as deposit for the new mortgage, you could remortgage with a £600k mortgage on it (as long as the rent covers the interest and a bit extra). £300k would be used to pay of the old mortgage and the other £300k can be withdrawn as a nice bonus for you. It's tax free too because it is technically a loan rather than earnings, and the tenants are paying the interest on that loan in perpetuity for you with their rent. It's no different to the original mortgage that you took out, you put in 25% and the bank lent you the rest. It's just now because of the equity that inflation has gifted you, there's £300k extra that can be taken out. This is how many landlords have ploughed their increasing equity gifted by inflation into new deposits enabling them to buy more and more properties.

GreyWing you mentioned you expect interest rates to go to 10%+ in due course and this is a risk for BTL mortgage holders. That is possible, but this would push up rents as landlords try to cover the higher interest rates. This has already been happening in the last few years, so landlords are at least partially protected from this threat by rent increases. But landlords should certainly have a reserve fund from which to dip into to ride out the storm. Politically, double digit interest rates would not be acceptable as potentially millions of home owners would default on their mortgages or go bankrupt. It would be the end of the ruling party if they stood by and allowed that to happen to a big chunk of the electorate. Also for interest rates to go anywhere near that level, inflation would have to be wildly high in double digits. If that were the case property values would go through the roof. We'd be back in the 1970s again when the average property price went from £4k at the start of the decade to £19k at the end. The effect of this would be an investor's dream - the inflation would very quickly pay off the property for you e.g. if you put down £1k in 1970 to buy a house with a £3k loan, by the end of the decade you have a £3k loan but £16k in equity. And by then the pound would be worth 1/5 of its former value so rents would be much much higher, far exceeding the mortgage payments on that now rather small looking £3k loan. You would have become 3.5 times as rich as you were at the start, owning 84% of the property rather than 25%.
Hi, been away for the past week but now I'm back. It was me who posted the above post on UKDNF based on my experience of investing in rental properties in Cambridge the last few years.

I also posted a follow up post about gold which I will repost here in case anyone is interested in investing in it...

Gold

Since I was a young man, I have thought it is a good idea to own some gold. It doesn't offer a great ROI and it yields no dividend or rent so it's not a great investment (unless you can time it right buying low and selling high) but I think it's wise in life to have a reserve fund/ war chest for emergencies/ unforeseen situations or available for new opportunities. Because such a reserve is to be held long term and not usually used you don't want it in cash in a savings/ losings account below inflation. Therefore keeping gold functions as a savings account but is largely inflation-proof. But you have to bear in mind there is a supply and demand component built into the price so there are bubbles and troughs, bad and good times to buy.

One thing I like about gold is that it is a bit of hassle to sell to a dealer and you'll lose a few % on commission, so you'll have a strong unwillingness to cash it in unless you really need to. Unlike a savings account where it's all too easy to just log in and transfer some funds over if you are a bit short one month.

My advice is to buy bars or coins not ETFs as frauds do happen and not in a managed vault as governments could seize gold at some point - it happened in the US. Also there are an unknown number of gold plated tungsten bars out there which have the same weight and volume. Nobody wants to drill into their bars to check if they are real because if they aren't you are the one left holding the bag and have to write it off. Instead everyone is passing them round without looking keeping the party going. Despite all the assurances and promises of legally ring-fenced assets from the managed gold companies, at the end of the day a piece of gold is better than a piece of paper saying you have a piece of gold! If there's an economic collapse or London gets nuked will you even be able to get in touch with the vault if it is there? Will the vault still be there? Will the insurance company backing it still be there? Also get several smaller amounts/ coins rather than one bigger bar so you can sell some off if you need to.

If you can build up say a year's earnings in gold it would provide an excellent safety net for the rest of your life. For example if for some reason all your income completely stopped, you would still have a year to get a plan together and capital to start anew. If you had to take lesser paid work, lets say 1/2 as much, you could sell the gold and top up your new lower income to the same level for 2 years. Or if your mortgage is say 1/4 of your previous income, you would have 4 year's worth of mortgage payments sat there - you would just need to find enough income to support your other living costs but your home would be safe from repossession.

Gold also acts as buffer against major emergencies - hyper-inflation, banking crises, economic collapse, wars, natural disasters etc. Whilst these might seem highly unlikely to you now, don't think it can't happen. China is very close to eclipsing the US and BRICS are set to introduce their own currency, irrevocably undermining the US dollar as the world's reserve currency. Countries round the world will then begin rapidly dumping the dollar, no one wanting to be left holding the bag as the currency collapses. The other Western currencies are intimately intertwined with the dollar so will also get dragged down. Hyper inflation has happened many times throughout history. Once it begins it is unstoppable and catches most people out before they can do anything to get into a better position. The gold price always shoots up in the preceding weeks as the ruling class and those who can see what's about to happen scramble to get out of the soon-to-be-worthless currency into the safety net of gold. Then it's too late, the genie is out of the bottle, you're either prepared or you're not. Even affluent professionals who owned their own homes and had substantial savings found themselves plunged into poverty within days - all the wealth tied up in their homes inaccessible as banks stop lending and all their savings in the bank rendered worthless by hyper-inflation. Within a matter of days the currency becomes worthless and those with substantial cash savings and those without are all levelled and plunged into the same poverty.

People mention what is the point in owning gold if the SHTF and that surely weapons and food will be more useful. If things get really that bad, that could be true. But you won't want £50k of weapons or baked beans will you? It's a good idea keeping a stockpile of food in times of inflation anyway, been doing this since the covid food shortages. Got an emergency stack of bog roll in the loft too! Buy a year's worth of all the long life foods that you buy anyway. Tins, pasta, rice etc. Most last for 2+ years. Why not buy in bulk at today's prices and beat inflation? If nothing happens you saved some money. If the SHTF you will be eternally grateful you made that decision. But if it comes to that, if the currency collapses bartering will take over and in the world of bartering, gold is king. Everyone will be waiting for things to get back to normal and no-one will want to be stuck with 1000 tins of out of date beans or a truck load of weapons if it looks like law and order is being restored. Gold will be highly desirable as it's as valuable in times of collapse as it is in times of stability.

Property. If you have the deposit, even with the higher interest rates, with the way rents are and are likely to keep going, you can't beat it. Well unless Labour F' it up of course.

Gold is a better capital investment, but you only see returns when you sell. A well managed BTL, will not only give you capital growth but a monthly income also.

I can only speak for the London market, but a house that I was renting out in 2019 for £2,200 is now achieving £3,000pcm, and
people are fighting over them. It is also a bit easier for me to manage day to day.

Stamp duty is a killer, and a lot of BTL investors have left the London market because you need over £30k to buy a £600k property. That being
said, if you can stomach that, the monthly return with the rents so high can still be lucrative. You could say the same for selling stocks if a depressed market or if they are down, you'll only be able to sell at a massive loss. If you wanted to dispose of a house quickly you can stick it in auction and have your money in a few weeks.

The one thing I would say is steer well clear of any new builds and anything with a service charge. These have reason by almost 300% in some of the blocks we look after since covid.

Property does tempt me, but I'm put off by the horror stories around non-paying tenants, trashed houses, etc.,

Does a £30k deposit get you a £600k BTL? And what would a £600k property rent out for in your area?

I also wonder about the other end of the market. I knew a guy who used to buy pre-fabs. The houses were fine, but you couldn't get a mortgage on them, so they always sold for less than a traditionally bult house. But the rental income was the same .

Property does tempt me, but I'm put off by the horror stories around non-paying tenants, trashed houses, etc.,

Does a £30k deposit get you a £600k BTL? And what would a £600k property rent out for in your area?

I also wonder about the other end of the market. I knew a guy who used to buy pre-fabs. The houses were fine, but you couldn't get a mortgage on them, so they always sold for less than a traditionally bult house. But the rental income was the same .
Non-paying tenants, trashed houses, etc are a rarity especially if you insist on professionals only and check references. Most people who rent don't want to make it hard for themselves when it comes to references for the next property so they look after the current one.

For a £600k BTL you would need a hell of a lot more than a £30k deposit. The standard deposit for a BTL mortgage is 25% so you'd need £150k deposit + £35,500 stamp duty + ~£3 professional fees + any renovation costs.

In terms of rent, it depends what kind of property, where and how you let it out. In my area (Cambridge) £600k would buy a 3-4 bedroom house which you could let for around £2500 / mo. In other cities you can get a similar rent for a much smaller capital outlay. You could get a lot more rent if you let it as an HMO but then your risks go up as you're dealing with a bunch of lower income people sharing. You'd have higher mortgage rates for an HMO, have to redecorate more often, deal with council inspections etc and deal with tenants falling out. Sooner or later you'll probably get at least one bounder in there causing trouble.

Not sure about the pre-fabs. Don't think I'd want to live in one if I was renting and it cost the same as a traditionally built house. But the fact you can't get a mortgage on them means you have to put up all the money to buy it, so you wouldn't benefit from leverage with inflation gradually paying off the property for you as your percentage of equity increases with inflation. If you used the purchase money as deposits you should be able to buy 2 or 3 normal properties instead which would give you much more rent and inflation would end up paying them off for you. Would you rather end up with 1 prefab or 2 or 3 normal properties, each worth much more than the prefab and much easier to sell to boot?

Last edited:

Been doing it for over 18 years, looking after nearly 200 properties, probably can count on one hand the real issues we have had with non-paying tenants, but they were big (i.e. no rent for 6 months).

You'll need 25% deposit, and the stamp duty on a £600k purchase would be more than £30k on its own (£35,500). You'd be better of looking for smaller units.

Wouldn't touch them at all unless you really have money to burn that you are happy to tie up for years. Buying a mortgageable property will allow you to release equity in a few years which will allow you to re-invest on something else.

Last edited:
Really appreciate the feedback, @DJ and @Jason.

I guess we are all lucky enough to have found domain names: I don't know anything that gives a better return. If you do, please let me know :)

The downside is there are only so may names (and we all want the best ones!) and they aren't the most liquid of assets. That said, you can heavily discount them to sell them and still make significant profits.

So, it's what to do with any other money we have to invest.

Found this from Habito which I think is useful for those considering BTL:

I'm working my way through it to get a better understanding of BTL because you two have me interested!

@diablo The one bit of advice I can give is if you were in a position to be able to afford a £600k (i.e. 25% deposit and stamp duty), my personal opinion would be to split this into two BTL purchases instead of one. This way, should you run into problems with one of them, you will still be receiving an income from the other one. It also offers more flexibility in the future in terms of gifting or selling.

The only reason to purchase a larger unit would be to get a larger house to run as an HMO, but if you a new to BTL this might not be the best place to start.

You've got the email should you want me to give an opinion on anything in the future.

I guess we are all lucky enough to have found domain names: I don't know anything that gives a better return. If you do, please let me know :)

Domains are excellent for now, but there is always the fear of the unknown and what the future might hold for them. There will always be a shortage of homes.

Also property related, does anyone invest in Arrived.com?

Arrived is currently only available in the United States, but a really good idea.

As I mentioned previously, I do bank switching for the bonuses, but even if you don't do that, every penny you have should be working for you.

In terms of a current account, most people get barely any interest (if any!) despite paying their wages in every month. Kroo pay 4.27% Gross so that is the benchmark.

In terms of savings, you should be getting 5% minimum at the moment even with easy access accounts. Save regularly each month and it's up to 8%.

A good site to keep up with the latest offers is:

For best saving rates (updated weekly):

Last edited:
Back