Please delete this thread

Kaleido

Reaction score
Trophy points
Duplicate thread. Stupid fat fingers. Please delete.

Last edited:
"Das war ein Vorspiel nur, dort wo man BΓΌcher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen."

Heinrich Heine 1797-1856

I see this thread has had three times as many views as the intended thread, probably because the title is a work of psychological genius. Like a button that says "do not press this button".

Deleting it would be like painting over a Banksy, so I think it should stay.

Besides which, Helmuts would pay good money for content of this quality.

I see this thread has had three times as many views as the intended thread, probably because the title is a work of psychological genius. Like a button that says "do not press this button".

Deleting it would be like painting over a Banksy, so I think it should stay.

Besides which, Helmuts would pay good money for content of this quality.
I wanted to agree with your post, but I refuse to use a 'πŸ’―' when a simple 'βœ…' conveys the message so much better.

So you got a '🀣' instead. Sorry.

I wanted to agree with your post, but I refuse to use a 'πŸ’―' when a simple 'βœ…' conveys the message so much better.

So you got a '🀣' instead. Sorry.
I don't mind a "Haha" when I was intending to amuse.

Now that the thread has survived its first day it's time to give some meaning to its young life. Following @seemly's lead above, I think it should be the forum's reaction emojis. At the moment there are ten of them:
  • Perfetto
  • 100%
  • Cheers
  • Haha
  • Love
  • Wow
  • Sad
  • Dislike
  • Angry
I don't know if ten is the maximum that XenForo allows, or whether these are the default options, but either way I think there's room for improvement.

Like, Perfetto, 100% and Love all mean pretty much the same thing and, as seemly suggests, should just be replaced with a green tick for Agree. The Like thumbs up is too Facebookish, and Perfetto, 100% and Love are all OTT. We're British, for god's sake.

That potentially leaves three vacancies, and I think one of those should be Informative. If there are emojis for Desperate and Illegal these could be useful for reacting to reports of activities in the park...

Anyway, those are my views. What do others think?

I don't know what Perfetto means, but it's certainly the OK symbol emoji. Like is different to OK, 100% means agree entirely. I feel like they all have their place in the world.

We should get rid of dislike and haha, because this is a serious business forum and some wets might have a problem with it so we should pander to the weakest in society entirely. This way we can align with the absolute state of society at the moment.

I don't mind a "Haha" when I was intending to amuse.

Now that the thread has survived its first day it's time to give some meaning to its young life. Following @seemly's lead above, I think it should be the forum's reaction emojis. At the moment there are ten of them:
  • Perfetto
  • 100%
  • Cheers
  • Haha
  • Love
  • Wow
  • Sad
  • Dislike
  • Angry
I don't know if ten is the maximum that XenForo allows, or whether these are the default options, but either way I think there's room for improvement.

Like, Perfetto, 100% and Love all mean pretty much the same thing and, as seemly suggests, should just be replaced with a green tick for Agree. The Like thumbs up is too Facebookish, and Perfetto, 100% and Love are all OTT. We're British, for god's sake.

That potentially leaves three vacancies, and I think one of those should be Informative. If there are emojis for Desperate and Illegal these could be useful for reacting to reports of activities in the park...

Anyway, those are my views. What do others think?

I think providing clear polar opposites provides value to a forum.

A 'thumbs up' and a 'tick' don't mean the same thing in all contexts. A 'thumbs up' can be a show of support, thanks, or appreciation. I see a 'tick' solely as a sign of agreement. The same goes for 'dislike' and 'disagree' as polar opposites.

'Love' is when something hits home, carries emotion, and means something more than a 'thumbs up'. Probably rarely used, but warranted. For example; when I posted about mental health issues, I appreciated even just the knowledge that people supported me even briefly by way of adding a ':love:' emoji (yes, I'm that sad).

'Angry' gives a clearer view than 'dislike' or 'disagree'. It would show disdain or hate towards something. Again, probably rarely used, but conveys enough meaning without needing to post your views if you don't want to get involved in a spat. For example, on the other forum when the owner posts dumb responses, the ability to give feedback by way of emoji (potentially) prevents the need to waste your time posting a response that would only be ignored anyway.

The other forum also had emojis like 'πŸ”§' (useful) and 'πŸ…' (winner), both of which, as a Brit, I would mostly use sarcastically or in spite. So I see no need for them.

My suggestions:
  • Like (y)
  • Dislike (n)
  • Agree βœ…
  • Disagree ❌
  • Love :love:
  • Hate 😑
  • Funny πŸ˜‚
  • Sad 😒
  • Shock 😲
  • Useful / Informative ℹ️
Who'd have thought emojis could be so controversial?! 🀣

Last edited:
If there are emojis for Desperate and Illegal these could be useful for reacting to reports of activities in the park...
Arf!

I think providing clear polar opposites provides value to a forum.

A 'thumbs up' and a 'tick' don't mean the same thing in all contexts. A 'thumbs up' can be a show of support, thanks, or appreciation. I see a 'tick' solely as a sign of agreement. The same goes for 'dislike' and 'disagree' as polar opposites.

'Love' is when something hits home, carries emotion, and means something more than a 'thumbs up'. Probably rarely used, but warranted. For example; when I posted about mental health issues, I appreciated even just the knowledge that people supported me even briefly by way of adding a ':love:' emoji (yes, I'm that sad).

'Angry' gives a clearer view than 'dislike' or 'disagree'. It would show disdain or hate towards something. Again, probably rarely used, but conveys enough meaning without needing to post your views if you don't want to get involved in a spat. For example, on the other forum when the owner posts dumb responses, the ability to give feedback by way of emoji (potentially) prevents the need to waste your time posting a response that would only be ignored anyway.

The other forum also had emojis like 'πŸ”§' (useful) and 'πŸ…' (winner), both of which, as a Brit, I would mostly use sarcastically or in spite. So I see no need for them.

My suggestions:
  • Like (y)
  • Dislike (n)
  • Agree βœ…
  • Disagree ❌
  • Love :love:
  • Hate 😑
  • Funny πŸ˜‚
  • Sad 😒
  • Shock 😲
  • Useful / Informative ℹ️
Who'd have thought emojis could be so controversial?! 🀣
As I see it love and hate just mean "like a lot" and "dislike a lot". If you eschew the 100% emoji (as do I) because it just means "agree a lot", then surely you should also reject love and hate?

Love and hate are also strong emotions. If someone feels that strongly shouldn't they be posting rather than just reacting with an emoji?

Bottom line: I don't think we should have either love or hate.

I never use these emojis in emails or anywhere else, so I don't know what's available, but if they exist the following could also be useful:
  • Thank you. This is one possible meaning of "cheers", but the current cheers emoji suggests a drinking toast.
  • I don't understand.
  • You're trolling. AFAIK we haven't had any trolls yet, but we need to be forearmed...

Last edited:
I think 10 is too many, like many things, too much choice leads to indecision.

Back