shopping.uk

username

Reaction score
Trophy points
I remember from the RoR days and shortly after that someone snapped up shopping.uk and was pretty happy with their purchase according to their post on oldcorn (archive.org link), the owner of redbrain.

I went to it today to see if it was being used to this day - and to my surprise it appeared to redirect to shopping.co.uk!

It looks like the .co.uk was purchased 9 months ago, at least a post announcing it was that long ago, according to this post on LinkedIn by the same guy https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dougsscott_wwwshoppingcouk-activity-7141459935669743616-1Dyu/

I do like highlighting nice uses of .UK domains, cause I think they are going to succeed given enough time, but I find it interesting that the .uk and .co.uk pair have come together now.

Sorry if this is old news, it was new news to me...

45 bags they paid for it as well. Wasn't this bought by Doug?

EDIT: just noticed the linkedin link

I sold the .co.uk to another domainer, I knew he sold it on but I don't think it was Doug. These types of names tend to bounce around until someone chucks bundles at developing them, deep pockets essential!

Hope he makes a good go of it.

I don't want to write that off just yet after 9 months but its not looking great, is it.
Hope he makes a good go of it.
Me too, but it's not looking very likely. That site in 2024 is never making it through a Core update and a Helpful Content update without getting destroyed (if it ever got any traffic in the first place, which is unlikely).

All duplicate content or links straight to merchant.... this isn't going to work without a Time Machine. If he can hit 88mph he has a chance. Its getting zero organic traffic now.

I'm referring to the .co.uk which has a site on it - its dead as far as Google organic traffic goes.
They both have the same site on them, just a very subtly different logo.

I thought it was just a redirect to redbrain.com, apparently not quite.

Update: appears to host pretty much the same thing as redbrain.shop. So yeah, it's a redirect to another site in a roundabout way.

Has bad reviews on trustpilot.

Last edited:
Isn't it just one of these PPC sites that gets traffic from the shopping carousel rather than organic? That's Redbrain main business model like Kelkoo etc. Not seen shopping.co.uk in there, but they could just throw some ad spend at it and make cash by CPA if it's part of the Comparison Shopping Partner program.

Isn't it just one of these PPC sites that gets traffic from the shopping carousel rather than organic? That's Redbrain main business model like Kelkoo etc. Not seen shopping.co.uk in there, but they could just throw some ad spend at it and make cash by CPA if it's part of the Comparison Shopping Partner program.

Makes coin though and does lot of other nice shit too.

Enough old timers know me, high everyone long time:):) So we will launch it utilisng the 4 billion products we now have in our database from 1000's of merchants on Redbrain.com ( by the way very different business model to Kelkoo they will die soon ), we will do the real organic stuff and slowly get some organic traffic, whilst doing ppc etc, maybe even run tv adverts. Once we have the model in place we will roll out similar models globally.......maybe it will work maybe not, but got to play:)

Enough old timers know me, high everyone long time:):) So we will launch it utilisng the 4 billion products we now have in our database from 1000's of merchants on Redbrain.com ( by the way very different business model to Kelkoo they will die soon ), we will do the real organic stuff and slowly get some organic traffic, whilst doing ppc etc, maybe even run tv adverts. Once we have the model in place we will roll out similar models globally.......maybe it will work maybe not, but got to play:)
Good luck with your venture!!!

I’ve known @dougs since the dawn of time, and I can confidently vouch that Redbrain is an absolute beast of a company, oozing with some seriously sexy data (a real goldmine), generating hundreds of millions in revenue for customers. It’s a sleeping giant that works its magic behind the scenes... people who know, knoooooow - And that little shopping site? It's making bank too 😉.

Dougs and Barry.... now it really does feel like I've stepped back in time!

Hehe… We all remember those good times, Phil. Hopefully, they’ll resurface again soon, as the world has gone mad, and we could definitely do with some domain innovating as there are some great minds on this forum - Bring back the good old days!!

Back