The Future of Dan.com

Gutted about this, use dan.com all the time. quick payments and a smooth process.

Not into being forced over to Afternic at all. Feels like I'm being set up with the ugly sister.

Does anyone know once a domain is on Afternic exclusively and no longer at dan.com are you still able to deal with incoming offers yourself? Or are they assigned to the Afternic / Godaddy staff? I have found anytime they have negotiated on my behalf it almost always results in a non sale.

With the buyer being in the UK and their staff being in USA doesn't help matters (by the time their staff have responded the buyer may well have moved onto other things) and their updates are slow and vague at best. You have no sight on what they are saying or offering and I hate not having that control. I'm really hoping we will be able to continue to negotiate them oursleves in real time but I'm not too hopeful.

Moving to another platform is an option but will be a big undertaking listing everything and repricing each domain :(

God, I absolutely hate how people sell out like this.

When DAN launched I was so excited. It felt like a brand new indie platform, that was doing everything right.

Now it just feels like another piece of “GoDaddy inc.”

God, I absolutely hate how people sell out like this.

When DAN launched I was so excited. It felt like a brand new indie platform, that was doing everything right.

Now it just feels like another piece of “GoDaddy inc.”
It's called capitalism. Not perfect, but the least-bad system that's been invented so far.

The silver lining is that there's nothing to stop anyone else starting another platform replicating everything that made Dan so popular.

danother.com is FTR...

The silver lining is that there's nothing to stop anyone else starting another platform replicating everything that made Dan so popular.

And then selling that to godaddy in a few years :LOL:

Capitalism is an issue and humans are stupid and selfish. You can make a lot of money without selling your soul to corporations. Look at Krystal Hosting, a prime example from our very own Simon Blackler.

Whenever I think of something like this, a 100 similar stories flash through my mind. Remember when Facebook got scared by Snapchat and offered them $3bn to buy them out (to kill them off no doubt), of course, Snapchat infamously refused. It was then Facebook started its mission to copy Snapchats features, rather to the dismay of everyone but Facebook. My point is $3bn is a lot of money, it is in fact around $1bn more than the market valuation at the time, so they were desperate to buy it. But if they had sold to them then, at a valuation of just $800m-$2bn, then SNAP would not have made it to today, as an independent social network with a value of around $20bn

Last edited:
And then selling that to godaddy in a few years :LOL:
Yes, rinse and repeat until GoDaddy's response is to improve their own offering rather than buying out the competition.

It's a real loss. My favourite platform by a country mile prior to its sale.
Have you checked out Atom.com?

Its innovating at a crazy speed and recently secured a $10m investment.

Blows everything else out of the water.

You can now push a button and AI creates you a logo in 60 seconds. This is one of my 'standard listings', the logo is AI generated at the push of a button.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Yes, rinse and repeat until GoDaddy's response is to improve their own offering rather than buying out the competition.
You might be onto something there.

I would really like to see a decent platform aimed at .uk that displays domains in £s and not $s!

Sensible % or a low sales fee and does not leak my details in a data breach!

Reactions: ben
I would really like to see a decent platform aimed at .uk that displays domains in £s and not $s!

The problem is that people do it for the money and not the passion.

Capitalism is an issue and humans are stupid and selfish. You can make a lot of money without selling your soul to corporations.

The problem is that these startups burn through loads of cash before the reach breakeven, usually other peoples cash (Dan took a multi million VC investment in 2020, and I don't think that was their first raise), but those VCs want a return on their investment, and unless you are highly profitable that return is achieved through an exit. There can even be triggers/clauses which dictate they must exit if an offer reaches X amount.

Often stuck between a rock and a hard place where you're exhausting your cash reserves and need the bail out to keep the lights on, and when you are at that point you'll find that you're not negotiation on your terms. The point at which they sold their soul was when they accepted $$$$$$$ from VC's, and they may not have had much choice.

Atom has just taken a $10m investment, but it is not from VC but from a company that invests in incredible domain names (Hilco Digital Assets), so I'm hopeful that this investor sees the value or has a serious interest in taking on the behemoth.

Atom investor: https://hilcodigital.com/

Last edited:
  • Perfetto
The problem is that people do it for the money and not the passion.
Aye, fully get that. I just refuse to pay 15% and even more in some cases that some platforms are asking. Seems to me to be a greedy amount!

Tbh when dan moved the currency from £ to $ it didnt have as much of a negative impact as I thought it might.

I'm more concerned about all my incoming offers now being in the hands of the afternic brokers to deal with who apart from being in a different time zone are quite frankly shite at what they do!

Reactions: Lee
I'm more concerned about all my incoming offers now being in the hands of the afternic brokers to deal with who apart from being in a different time zone are quite frankly shite at what they do!
They really are, I've got 3 negotiations live at the moment and they are terrible.

Reactions: Lee
Back