What do you use for bulk DNS?

Alexander

Reaction score
Trophy points
Hi, first time poster here!

I've got 50+ domain names that are currently pointing towards Dan.com. I am looking to point them towards my own website but as being the tag holder, DNS is left to myself to sort.

I use things like CloudFlare for normal sites that I actually use but not too sure how happy they'd be with an extra 50+ sites being added to a free account. Things like AWS Route 53 seem too expensive at $0.50 per domain per month. Ideally the solution would be free (self-hosted?) and easy to automate.

What do you guys use? Any experience with this?

Cheers

I too am in this exact situation and exploring solutions.

I'm looking at at setting up an ec2 instance on AWS with a static IP and installing BIND. Then I was going to choose a domain to use as my custom nameservers, and add the NS DNS record to that hostname pointing to the static IP.

I'm looking for a non-handrolled solution.

It's called an "authoritative nameserver".

Isn't it just the process of getting a server, and installing BIND, and then setting up the zones?

Enable DNSSEC, make sure port 53 is open and not being filtered by the firewall.

I'm not sure if there is anything else, but it is quite a basic setup. I think you need to test it for yourself and see if the server can cope with your volume.

Does your host not provide/include/automate nameservers as part of the hosting ?

If the hosting isnt for X domains ( in which case it would allow for X dns zones as well ) then DNS isn't how you would handle this ( as simply resolving it to the IP is unlikely to work ).

For that you'd need a form of forwarding where they resolve to something that then redirects to your specified url.

Whether you're using browser based forwarding or not, the domain needs a DNS server willing to resolve the domains to your forwarding solution or hosting for up to 50+ domains without additional costs associated with each one.

Any browser based forwarding happens after the browser has successfully resolved the IP address of the hosting via the DNS from the nameservers and that server that responds to the request for the page load needs to provide a valid response for the domain in question whether it contains a forwarding response or not.

Most domain registrars provide this service for free, but as in the case of the OP, it's Nominet where you are the registrar (a tag).

It'll need SSL certs for each domain, too, or a wildcard cert.

Last edited:
£2 a month for unlimited domains from https://www.hostmaria.com/ pretty sure there's a few more like this around also.

that will do everhthing you need and more.

And before the Helmut haters dive in, don't, it's a good offering and that's what these forums are about.

Sorry I missed the part in your initial post where you thought Cloudflare wouldn't let you - I host many times the amount of sites you are talking about in this post with Cloudflare. They do not have an issue with it, and actually would prefer to have as much of the internet under their umbrella as they possibly could.

Sorry I missed the part in your initial post where you thought Cloudflare wouldn't let you - I host many times the amount of sites you are talking about in this post with Cloudflare. They do not have an issue with it, and actually would prefer to have as much of the internet under their umbrella as they possibly could.
Is that with custom nameservers, or adding the domains as domains to cloudflare each time?

£2 a month for unlimited domains from https://www.hostmaria.com/ pretty sure there's a few more like this around also.

that will do everhthing you need and more.

And before the Helmut haters dive in, don't, it's a good offering and that's what these forums are about.
Out of interest, how does one add a domain? Can it be done via an API call?

Is that with custom nameservers, or adding the domains as domains to cloudflare each time?
I just use Cloudflare NS but if you are adding them to the same account, they are always the same unless you pre-add them to your domain, then they'll be different as they have DNS hijacking protection.

I just use Cloudflare NS but if you are adding them to the same account, they are always the same unless you pre-add them to your domain, then they'll be different as they have DNS hijacking protection.
That's the one then isn't it. Add them via API to automate it and bingo. Thank you for your insights.

Would still be good to know hostmaria support adding domains via API. Just for automation purposes that's all.

Last edited:
Would still be good to know hostmaria support adding domains via API. Just for automation purposes that's all.
It's i20 reseller hosting under the hood - so that'd be the place to look for an API

Maybe @Ant knows the answer as he clearly has experience with it.

The i20 docs appears to be reseller focused from what I have found.

I just use cPanel. Plain and simple.

Back