What3Words removes usefulness of free API plan

ben

Reaction score
Trophy points
Hi there,

We’re getting in touch to let you know about a change to the features available with the Free what3words API plan.
Our Free API plan continues to support the AutoSuggest feature but will soon no longer include the ‘convert to what3words address’ feature (the function that converts a set of coordinates to their corresponding what3words addresses) or map grid (which displays what3words gridlines of 3 metre squares). If you would like to continue using these features, you can upgrade to one of our paid API plans anytime before 25th November 2024, which is when the changes will come into effect.
Our business plans (starting at £7.99/month) all come with unlimited ‘convert to what3words address’ conversions and unlimited grid calls. Other features such as ‘convert-to-coordinate’ requests, as well as priority and developer support are also available depending on your choice of plan.
You can learn more about our full range of API plans here. Your API key will not change as part of this update. If you have any questions about how this change might affect you or would like to speak with our team, feel free to reply to this email and we’d be happy to help.
As a reminder, emergency services can make use of the what3words API for free and we have a dedicated plan for registered charities, therefore these organisations are not subject to our standard pricing model or impacted by this update. If your organisation falls within these categories then please do get in touch to let us know.
The what3words Team

I integrated W3W API into my photography website, Tales from the Trees. Taking advantage of the ‘convert to what3words address’ functionality one time when a product is added, it is then cached forever. So upgrading to a paid plan to use this maybe 1/2 times a month is not an option. Website currently makes zero money, so there isn't any money there to use for it anyway. Lastly, why didn't they just limit it to 50/100 calls a month on free plan, instead of completely removing it. One month to change this integration now, and I might have to remove it for something entirely different. What a ballache.

They are clearly past the point of getting their service into common use and now want to exploit it good and proper.

Probably why they want the emergency services using it.

They are clearly past the point of getting their service into common use and now want to exploit it good and proper.

Probably why they want the emergency services using it.
You still don't see it about though, do you. I am within plenty of hiking circles and whatnot and people generally don't even use it. It's really only a commercial tool, and I can see its uses, but in a commercial setting it's actually dangerous, especially in the hands of Emergency Services. I read a thread a while back about it duplicating the 3 words for different locations, so sometimes Emergency Services have been directed to the wrong one: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56901363

Pretty wild.

I haven't had a use for it, I must admit.

BBC is a name containing 3 words, for an org that definitely does not provide useful or accurate info.

What 3 words has been really useful where I live. On my postcode we have just 4 properties however these are dotted over 1.5 mile section. When ordering stuff before I've given delivery drivers my W3W location and they have always been very grateful as they can find locating rural homes a right pain.

You see it on lots of Rightmove listings too for rural property that are for sale.

Even farmers around here use it too so they can locate areas on fields and grazing land that need stuff done, fence repairs etc.

In big cities and towns however I'm guessing the need for W3W is slightly less needed.

Guess they need to start recovering money invested. Shame really but hope you find a solution.

I wouldn't feel too bad about the free API plan's usefulness being degraded.

https://cybergibbons.com/security-2/why-what3words-is-not-suitable-for-safety-critical-applications/

Here is an open source alternative:

They suggest prefixing country and state when referencing locations in larger countries.

While W3W can seem incredibly convenient, and much easier than using lat/lng coordinates, the ease in which errors can be made is pretty shocking. Plus, it is a commercial product, so they'll be looking to recoup some costs.

While W3W can seem incredibly convenient, and much easier than using lat/lng coordinates, the ease in which errors can be made is pretty shocking. Plus, it is a commercial product, so they'll be looking to recoup some costs.
Cheers Chris, that looks incredible easy to use too. Any idea if the UK's emergency services currently use it?

I wouldn't feel too bad about the free API plan's usefulness being degraded.

https://cybergibbons.com/security-2/why-what3words-is-not-suitable-for-safety-critical-applications/

Here is an open source alternative:

They suggest prefixing country and state when referencing locations in larger countries.

Thanks Chris, might be a viable alternative to switch to.

Back