What's your username origin story?

Kaleido

Reaction score
Trophy points
Kaleido is derived from two ancient Greek words - kalos (beauty) and eidos (form). It represents my design philosophy and aspiration.

Kaleido has seven letters, one for each colour of the spectrum.

As a bonus, Kaleido.uk contains every vowel in alphabetical order.

You just checked didn't you?

Last edited:
The inspiration for my username washed over me on the 8th July 2024.

I was signing up to a UK domain forum for the second time that quarter and it just came to me. I wanted something thought provoking, original and memorable. So I selected the word from above the username box, with my cursor and dragged and dropped it into the box.

It is pronounced yew-zΓΌr-naym-Γ©.

For those who speak Xhosa, it translates as igama lomsebenzisi which you may use to refer to me by if you find it easier.

Last edited:
Nothing meaningful behind my choice, other than I was looking to find a short FTR dictionary domain when I was considering becoming a freelance web designer and developer quite some years ago.

This one popped out for me, and I've used it ever since.

Nice. I really like it and it partly inspired this thread.

I've gone through various naming iterations but I was never truly satisfied. I've finally settled on Kaleido and I love it. It wasn't FTR so I had to put my hand pretty deep in my pocket πŸ˜‚

Diablo was a username that was used to sign up for Acorn back in 2005.

Diablo was a PC game I used to play with my son. I don't remember us being very good at it.

My son was 12, and it was him, not me, who opened the account at Acorn. We lived in Spain at the time, the Diablo box was next to the computer, Acorn asked for a username and he chose...

Last edited:
Mine used to be trendmedia... but when I joined 4m ... I thought, what better way to celebrate (the disconnect from the other place) than to upgrade from the old 2 worder.... to a premium, one word, name brandable...
It's like getting a decent handle on twitter! :ROFLMAO:

p.s... TrendMedia just came from brain storming words that I felt went together back in 2003 when I signed up for a Nominet Tag...
21 years in and I can't shake it off..

Mine goes back to the old Worms Armageddon days. In a particular clan game, I was all but dead with only a few HP left. I came back against all odds and won the match. A fellow clan member started calling me Lazarus and it stuck. As many of you already know, my real is Colin, which I am not over the moon about... I mean how can a mother and father call a baby.. "Colin" πŸ˜‚ So I prefer just Col.

Last edited:
I wanted something to trick customers into thinking I knew what I was talking about.
It also got you culled from Acorn. Domain name experts aren't welcome there.

Mine goes back to the old Worms Armageddon days. In a particular clan game, I was all but dead with only a few HP left. I came back against all odds and won the match. A fellow clan member started calling me Lazarus and it stuck. As many of you already know, my real is Colin, which I am not over the moon about... I mean how can a mother and father call a baby.. "Colin" πŸ˜‚ So I prefer just Col.
Have you considered adopting the American pronunciation Coe-lin, as in Sebastian Coe?

Back