WP Engine / Matt Mullenweg Problems

boxfish

Reaction score
Trophy points
Anyone caught up in the issues Automattic are causing for WP ENGINE?

There is a thread on Reddit surmising that the real issue is that WPE are altering the refer url from WooCommerce/Stripe payments, so Woo/Matt are no longer receiving the commission from Stripe.

Interesting development. I don’t host with WP Engine but have a biz based on Woo so am following along.

Seen this, total madness and ego. To be honest, WP Engine could have done more to contribute considering they lean on WordPress for their entire brand, but I still think Matt is a lunatic

WPEngine should fork WordPress and make their own version if it is an issue, they seem to make a good profit from hosting the WP CMS and modifying it for their customers - surely they can keep developing it?

One can exist without the other, so maybe WP Engine should reconsider, and maybe accept demands or make your own version...

I don't think it is hard to understand why switching refer the Stripe in Woo is an issue, they are funnelling money away from propriety software Automattic created. Not for the benefit of the end user, but for WPE.

Reactions: ben
WPEngine should fork WordPress and make their own version if it is an issue, they seem to make a good profit from hosting the WP CMS and modifying it for their customers - surely they can keep developing it?

One can exist without the other, so maybe WP Engine should reconsider, and maybe accept demands or make your own version...

I don't think it is hard to understand why switching refer the Stripe in Woo is an issue, they are funnelling money away from propriety software Automattic created. Not for the benefit of the end user, but for WPE.
I think that Woo/AM should get the commission from WPE, their whole business relies on the foundation they’re taking away from lol. They won’t fork because if you look at what Matt actually said:

In reality WP Engine brings almost zero aspect of WordPress to the world: It claims to contribute 40 hours per week to WordPress (see https://wordpress.org/five-for-the-future/pledge/wp-engine/), while, by contrast, Automattic is contributing almost 4000 hours per week to WordPress. See https://wordpress.org/five-for-the-future/pledge/automattic/.
WPE turnover almost half a billion a year on the back of this contribution lol.

In order to fork; they’d 100% spend more than they are giving to Matt already just funding development of their own fork to keep up with the master features. Plus, we know Matt would be all sorts of dick about it.

Back