Your Domains If You Die Thread

GreyWing

Reaction score
Trophy points
Continuing on from the previous place.

I wasn't able to catch up with the last few days worth of posts. Did anyone come up with a Gold Standard solution to what happens to their names when they die.

In my case, I have left instructions to my Mrs to contact a few people in order to keep the names live, but as for the live sites and the income streams, it could get a bit trickier to keep the sites live and the income streams continuing. With SEO being almost everything these days, a bit of down time for any of them could have significant impact.

I did catch someone's post who suggested that an offline sheet of paper with passwords etc is a good idea, and I think that got the most likes the last time I visited page last week.

One good piece of advice I remember from that thread was to make sure your best names were on auto-renew, and that funds were available in your Nominet account to cover them if the worst happens.

I'll write to Nominet tomorrow and ask them to confirm what happens if they receive an unofficial death notification. I'm positive they once put things on hold from dropping until they receive an official certificate, but I'll double check it and report back.

This is a very good topic and one many might not want to discuss but is essential I feel.

For me I have all my domains and business assets in a LTD company. I'm the sole shareholder but a member of my family is also listed as a director and this would make taking control of things much easier when I die.

I've written up clear instructions that have been read by others and they say that they understand what to do!

I'm also just about to chat with one of my Nephews and educate him on what to do in the event that I fall off the planet. It will be in his interest as I have included them in my will!

In the past I've noticed some domain owners sadly pass away and the domains get deleted due to not being renewed in time.

Because of this, I recently took the decision to renew all my long term hold/project domains to at least 2030. This gives my estate time to spot and renew the names. Painful to stump up the money now but at least I'm locking in today's prices as they are sure to rise over the years. Also a good TAX/VAT write off for this year!

That is my death plan. :sleep:

Cheers,
Lee

This is a very good topic and one many might not want to discuss but is essential I feel.

For me I have all my domains and business assets in a LTD company. I'm the sole shareholder but a member of my family is also listed as a director and this would make taking control of things much easier when I die.

I've written up clear instructions that have been read by others and they say that they understand what to do!

I'm also just about to chat with one of my Nephews and educate him on what to do in the event that I fall off the planet. It will be in his interest as I have included them in my will!

In the past I've noticed some domain owners sadly pass away and the domains get deleted due to not being renewed in time.

Because of this, I recently took the decision to renew all my long term hold/project domains to at least 2030. This gives my estate time to spot and renew the names. Painful to stump up the money now but at least I'm locking in today's prices as they are sure to rise over the years. Also a good TAX/VAT write off for this year!

That is my death plan. :sleep:

Cheers,
Lee

Lot of good ideas there, Lee. Thank you.

Reactions: Lee
I've already decided if I'm dying I'm taking all you old bastards with me. I've already bagged domainheaven.co.uk.

This is a serious issue though, well done for bringing it up @GreyWing , and it's something I have been guilty of putting off myself. I had surgery a year or so ago and wrote some brief instructions the night before, which was quite upsetting at the time, as it was like a goodbye letter.

Since then it has been on my to do list for a while to write some basic and clear, unemotional, instructions on what to do, after they've stopped partying of course. I would also recommend everyone makes sure they have auto renewal set up on their valuable domains and a decent enough reserve held at Nominet to cover a few months of renewals. Because, let's face it, our loved ones aren't going to want to give a shit about it for a while, especially if it happens unexpectedly.

I'm also happy to share my number via DM with anyone that might want to use it as a point of contact in case the unthinkable does happen.
It would could confirm if Nominet implement some kind of emergency contact system to give someone access to members accounts in the event of a death (to lock domains and manage renewals), or if nominet pause all pending delete domains for a period of time after being informed of a member bereavement.

Back