ACF taken over by WP after WPE locked out of wordpress.org

Much of this thread is over my head, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but given that Flywheel is owned by WP Engine, do the events described above affect @seemly's recommendation of Local by Flywheel to learn WordPress offline? Others' opinions also welcome.

Much of this thread is over my head, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but given that Flywheel is owned by WP Engine, do the events described above affect @seemly's recommendation of Local by Flywheel to learn WordPress offline? Others' opinions also welcome.
No. Local by Flywheel will still be maintained by WPE and also, will still use the core WordPress. Will not be affected at all.

I doubt it, I guess that is some sort of WAMP setup - for local projects/development on Windows, I suggest trying WAMPServer64: https://wampserver.aviatechno.net/

But you'd probably benefit more from using LAMP on a virtual host, as that'd be a proper replication of what webhosting servers are.

Also, you may be correct, but I don't really see why companies should feel forced to change web hosts, and incur those costs, purely because the founder of open source software has decided he wants 8% gross revenue of a company that he invested in 2011 because he doesn't feel they invest enough back into the core framework. That's not how open source works.
Is WordPress truly open source after all of this? I think Matt has clearly laid out that it is open source, under his rule... WPE can still develop plugins and update software, so I think it is still open source regardless - even if they can't use WP.org to update or be found in the plugin store. you can still install them, I buy software from Code Canyon and theme forest regularly that are not on WP.org

Is WordPress truly open source after all of this? I think Matt has clearly laid out that it is open source, under his rule... WPE can still develop plugins and update software, so I think it is still open source regardless - even if they can't use WP.org to update or be found in the plugin store. you can still install them, I buy software from Code Canyon and theme forest regularly that are not on WP.org
Yeah, I think that's the real issue that's being highlighted by all this. The infrastructure that makes WordPress seamless and so user friendly. It's always the stuff that is behind the scenes that is most missed when it's made unavailable.

I think WordPress as a framework is Open Source, but the infrastructure that runs the ecosystem of the official plugin and theme repositories, auto-updates, one-click button installs, etc, are going to become the premium service for businesses.

What scale businesses I have no idea. It would probably be defined by terms and conditions update of 'fair usage' based on queries/requests. Maybe even a 'credit' based system where you get 'x' request credits per month, after that you either pay financially or contribute to core/open source to earn credits.

That way, the infrastructure costs are covered, open source stays alive, and 3rd parties can't make millions/billions without giving something back in return.

I do get that argument of what Matt has raised, but he has diluted the argument in so many different ways, primarily by trying to highlight TM issues that weren't an issue until the last few months.

No. Local by Flywheel will still be maintained by WPE and also, will still use the core WordPress. Will not be affected at all.
I doubt it, I guess that is some sort of WAMP setup - for local projects/development on Windows, I suggest trying WAMPServer64: https://wampserver.aviatechno.net/

But you'd probably benefit more from using LAMP on a virtual host, as that'd be a proper replication of what webhosting servers are.
Nah, you're all good.
Thanks all.

I didn't know about this, that's quite handy to know about. Especially if WP insists on going down the Gutenberg type route.

How is compatibility with popular plug ins, eg: wordfence, ACF and so on?
Mmm, presumptively not great. As most plugins will maintain for compatibility with Core.

I didn't know about this, that's quite handy to know about. Especially if WP insists on going down the Gutenberg type route.

How is compatibility with popular plug ins, eg: wordfence, ACF and so on?
I'm going to say the opposite to @ben and suggest that as long as they're plugins that don't hook into the FSE or Gutenberg functionality of the site, which ACF and Wordfence don't, you should be good to go.

They rely on completely different functionality, based on the Hooks system in WordPress, using Actions and Filters to achieve their end result.

Using ACF values in post content requires the use of shortcodes, which are still valid in Gutenberg anyway. Alternatively, you'd need to be creating your own templates which uses the ACF get_field function calls anyway.

This is completely uneducated from the perspective of ClassicPress, but based solely on how I expect functionality would work based on the core framework.

Yeah that's kind of what I was hoping, but wasn't sure if there were any things that the plug in devs would need to start taking into account (or if not now, later down the line).

I based my answer on a quick google saying that themes and that would work if they supported WordPress version X (ie. Before they forked, I think)

Back