Aside from money, what do you enjoy about domaining?

I take an interest in domains that I recognise locally to me. Businesses, brands, attractions… things of that nature which I recognise from years ago. I park most of these and some have gone on to earn hundreds over the years, one notably thousands. I’ve sold some - and continue to earn as the nameservers aren’t always changed straight away. A couple of these have been gifted back to local authorities who stupidly let them lapse even though they belonged to still open locations. So I sort of feel like I’m doing my bit to keep things alive and earned a tidy little sum while I had them. It’s an odd angle that most people don’t seem to get at all, but I get a kick out of it.

coming across a domain name you have found a good home for on an advert or on a sign on a street and I think that is one of my babies, yep a bit weird. I aim to see one on an electronic advertising board at a football match.

I take an interest in domains that I recognise locally to me. Businesses, brands, attractions… things of that nature which I recognise from years ago. I park most of these and some have gone on to earn hundreds over the years, one notably thousands. I’ve sold some - and continue to earn as the nameservers aren’t always changed straight away. A couple of these have been gifted back to local authorities who stupidly let them lapse even though they belonged to still open locations. So I sort of feel like I’m doing my bit to keep things alive and earned a tidy little sum while I had them. It’s an odd angle that most people don’t seem to get at all, but I get a kick out of it.
I do the same! I own grizedaleforest.co.uk which dropped, I basically live in there. I also own a couple of others that are local.

Nothing. After 40 years of programming looking forward to winding down in the future and will probably only switch the PC on to play games. The most exciting times was early 2000s in my opinion. Now there's no innovation just more of the same.
oh come on there is so much fun out there

I aim to see one on an electronic advertising board at a football match.
Sorry to hijack this thing, but as you mention it, is it just me or are these things highly annoying?

I haven't watched football this season because of how distracting they are. Trying to watch football and the dam thing is flashing away all the time. It's like something on top of the TV dancing away trying to get your attention whilst you relax.

Sorry to hijack this thing, but as you mention it, is it just me or are these things highly annoying?
Compared to the pitchside epilepsy extravaganza in the Premier League, they're slightly less annoying in European and international games where they're less animated and tend to just flick from logo to logo.

Compared to the pitchside epilepsy extravaganza in the Premier League, they're slightly less annoying in European and international games where they're less animated and tend to just flick from logo to logo.

I haven't watched football this season because of how distracting they are. Trying to watch football and the dam thing is flashing away all the time. It's like something on top of the TV dancing away trying to get your attention whilst you relax.
I've genuinely thought about that before, I could see how those things would trigger something like Epilepsy.

The latest technology, and this blew my mind actually, means that different things are seen in different territories from those boards.

Its way above my head, but my team Norwich City now has these so I presume all Prem teams will also.

We might see AXA insurance if watching on Sky, those viewing a broadcast in another territory e.g. USA will see something completely different, and those viewing a broadcast in the UAE something entirely different, and those in say China something different again.
Here you go, its called 'virtual replacement perimeter technology'

Wtf. How does that even work

Green screen or something equivalent?
I don't think it's green screen, but there is another tech better than green screen. I have seen social media footage on people's phones in the grounds and the ads are there in real time, so it's a strange one.

So if it isn't physically a green screen in the ground. How long before some amazing individual comes up with AI software to take it off and stream it on a Firestick for example?

I don't think it's green screen, but there is another tech better than green screen. I have seen social media footage on people's phones in the grounds and the ads are there in real time, so it's a strange one.

Explains how it's done in the link @RegalDomains gave above.

The latest technology, and this blew my mind actually, means that different things are seen in different territories from those boards.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I find the job itself boring - there's no real direct enjoyment from this garbage at all.

The enjoyment for me comes from all the lifestyle stuff it allows. I was out hunting last night till 4am, I couldn't do that if I had to be at a desk job at 8am. I woke up at 10am and dealt with things as I felt like, I'm about to walk my dogs when I finish watching last nights UFC.

So shit job but it allows for a great lifestyle so Im happy enough with that.

• Love
Reactions: ben
I find the job itself boring - there's no real direct enjoyment from this garbage at all.

The enjoyment for me comes from all the lifestyle stuff it allows. I was out hunting last night till 4am, I couldn't do that if I had to be at a desk job at 8am. I woke up at 10am and dealt with things as I felt like, I'm about to walk my dogs when I finish watching last nights UFC.

So shit job but it allows for a great lifestyle so Im happy enough with that.
Really good point. I've led this lifestyle since around 2016 and the freedom it gives being able to do as you please is potent. When Brightwork failed in 2022 Q4, people started asking me if I was going back to a 9-5 job. I said I couldn't, I could not stand working for someone else.

I get to see my children whenever I like, family whenever I like. I walk my dog non-stop in the Lake District, where I am also lucky enough to be able to enjoy photography, I have no deadlines, only those which I set myself. I'm also happy knowing that I'm not working £12 an hour for some mega corp that doesn't give a shit about you, or out there building someone else's dream. It's not perfect, the money isn't consistent and needs to be supplemented by other work, but at the end of the day, since 2016, I've generated my own income and forged my own path, whilst having the freedom to do as I please.

Am I millionaire? Not by any stretch of the imagination. But ask me if I'm rich?

Back