DVLA

Say you wanted B25 TOM, for example: would it have to be put on a 2025 reg car?

EDIT No, you don't.

"Please note: This registration can only be assigned to a vehicle which was registered as new on or after 1 August 1983. You cannot use a personalised registration to make a vehicle look newer than it is."

What would a plate like B25 TOM normally sell for? Is there an opportunity here?

Last edited:
Absolutely "The prefix-style registration numbers are fixed price only, which means there won't be any bidding wars when the plates go on sale."

Have just registered an account. I'm guessing it will be a bun fight come 1st of October.

Say you wanted B25 TOM, for example: would it have to be put on a 2025 reg car?

EDIT No, you don't.

"Please note: This registration can only be assigned to a vehicle which was registered as new on or after 1 August 1983. You cannot use a personalised registration to make a vehicle look newer than it is."

What would a plate like B25 TOM normally sell for? Is there an opportunity here?
You can apply the same logic from domain names to plates. The market determines the value. If you buy this for £250, will it sell for more? No idea. If you find a Tom that likes it enough to pay more, perhaps.

I'm getting flashbacks!

Years ago DVLA released the F1 plates and I tried like mad to get F1 LEE

Even though I was on the phone bang on opening all the good ones had gone. Someone in the number plate game later told me that all the good ones had been sold before the phone lines had even opened.

Is there an opportunity here?
Not really IMHO.

Prefix regs are usually a bit rubbish. The auctions are worth a look but good stuff goes for decent cash.

I'm getting flashbacks!

Years ago DVLA released the F1 plates and I tried like mad to get F1 LEE

Even though I was on the phone bang on opening all the good ones had gone. Someone in the number plate game later told me that all the good ones had been sold before the phone lines had even opened.
Money talks

Reactions: Lee
You can apply the same logic from domain names to plates. The market determines the value. If you buy this for £250, will it sell for more? No idea. If you find a Tom that likes it enough to pay more, perhaps.

The market determines the price.

Interestingly, RegTransfers saw an opportunity in both reg plates and domains, but have made far more from reg plates.

A similar plate, F22 TOM, is for sale for £3,495 on their site.

Not really IMHO.

Prefix regs are usually a bit rubbish. The auctions are worth a look but good stuff goes for decent cash.

I know nothing about cars or number plates. Don't even know my own reg, but a lot of my neighbours seem to like personalised plates.

Genuine question. Is a reg plate like B25 TOM "a bit rubbish"?

The market determines the price.

Interestingly, RegTransfers saw an opportunity in both reg plates and domains, but have made far more from reg plates.

I know nothing about cars or number plates. Don't even know my own reg, but a lot of my neighbours seem to like personalised plates.

Genuine question. Is a reg plate like B25 TOM "a bit rubbish"?
Yeah, because someone priced F22 TOM at that price is similar to it.com pricing domains that are worthless at $2200 lol.

Yeah, because someone priced F22 TOM at that price is similar to it.com pricing domains that are worthless at $2200 lol.

Not at all. RegTransfers have years of experience of pricing reg plates.

There might might be a person called Tom who is a fan of the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor fight jet?

Maybe you'd be better with a B52 TOM instead, in relation to the B-52 Bomber?

I've no idea... 😂

Decent site, some people pay silly money for these plates. 100 grand odd?

If your after one of these plates, please don't search for the actual plate, search for one with a few or at least one char missing, otherwise they will disappear from sale and go to an auction, ruthless they are and have always been. Only ever type the actual one as soon as it could be available to buy etc

I see that R29EWN is available for anyone with plans for that year.

More seriously, I can very much see the point of a memorable domain to build a business on, but I really can't see the point of these plates. Surely the "better" (ie more conspicuous) the plate, the more likely you are to have your car keyed or broken into?

Am I missing something?

Reactions: ben
I see that R29EWN is available for anyone with plans for that year.

More seriously, I can very much see the point of a memorable domain to build a business on, but I really can't see the point of these plates. Surely the "better" (ie more conspicuous) the plate, the more likely you are to have your car keyed or broken into?

Am I missing something?
Vanity

Because I'm a cunt and a despicable human being, I've got a personalised reg plate.

Because I'm neurodiverse, I've got a fascination with letters and numbers and combining them to create meaning. My favourite number is 23.

Because I'm a domainer, I got up early one morning last year and pinged the DVLA website to snap up a 23 reg that I'd hankered after for yonks.

I bought it with the proceeds from a domain sale and the three letter suffix is WWW.

Last edited:
Back