Euro's Thread

Tough final but we appear to have the knack, so just maybe, finally…..

Jokes aside I think we deserved to win tonight, the boys done good.

Don't know a lot of the England fringe players, but surprised Ollie Watkins got man of the match. He only came on as a sub! Felix Zwayer played the entire game and won you that penalty.

Hola, amigos! Me llamo Jorge por el dia! Vamos EspaĂąa!

I'm never going to understand that strong Scottish accent of yours.

I roughly translated it to this:

XXX

Lo siento. No entiendo.

@Helmuts @Admin Puedes eliminar a DJ, por favor? Ya no es bienvenido aquĂ­. Elimina tambiĂŠn sus publicaciones.

Our players are Premier League players, fast pressing. but we have a manager from Serie A, where you just chill out.

Another wasted opportunity and Southgate has to go.

The dream, so close yet again, yet so far.

This thread's gone quiet...

From the outside looking in, the mismatch between the quality of players at Southgate's disposal and how they play as an England team is quite astonishing. Has been for years.

There must be a dozen England strikers who would walk into the Scotland team, but who either don't get picked or never get a start. Cole Palmer for one brought so much energy to what were lacklustre performances, but Southgate always went with Kane without playing to his strengths. Hope he keeps the job.

All that said, Spain were the best team in the tournament. Seven wins to reach the final including wins over Germany, Italy and France. In fact they only lost once in qualifying...

I can't remember the last time I watched an England match and thought 'they played well this tournament and were so unlucky'. Probably about the time of Gascoigne and Shearer. For the last 20 years our 'tactics' seem to have been... "no matter where you are make sure you get it back to midfield for a while then back to your goalkeeper. He'll then kick it as hard as he can so it goes over the opponent's goal line. Do this for a while and hope eventually you'll get a penalty or score off a corner. Whatever you do NEVER score first and where possible keep it to 0-0 and hope for penalties... yes I know you've lost about 95% of them but still better than risking a goal in the game." Also I think it was unfair that Spain had 20 men on the pitch last night, or so it seemed.

I think that is a reflection on modern coaching. It has its own new language and buzzwords, and takes away a fair amount of natural flair impacting on the game. It has become a big business in itself, and there are some tremendous benefits (eg. england pen systems and processes) and forward looking stuff, but there is so much grift and emperors new clothes about it all it is unreal.

Top coaches (Pep, Carlo etc) play systems and can change things rapidly, as well as allowing creativity to flow.

Southgate has a firm team in mind and system to play but fails to unlock the raw talent of those on the pitch.

Don’t forget English footballers are not the brightest…. as evidenced by Shearer’s philosophical quote to rival Plato and Socrates…. “pressure is for tyres”. It has my transformed life.

Don’t forget English footballers are not the brightest…. as evidenced by Shearer’s philosophical quote to rival Plato and Socrates…. “pressure is for tyres”. It has my transformed life.
talking about "not the brightest"...

• Haha
Reactions: Cav
Back