John Lewis bring back "Never knowingly undersold"

I do apologise for my part in the tangent, but I guess that's the problem with how people insist on trying to nonsensically appoint failures to being "woke".

I have Mr. Anonymity on mute now, as they clearly only join forums to troll.

I do apologise for my part in the tangent, but I guess that's the problem with how people insist on trying to nonsensically appoint failures to being "woke".

I have Mr. Anonymity on mute now, as they clearly only join forums to troll.
But he was correct; John Lewis did go woke, and it played a part in their struggles. Clearly, it was overtaken by leftist idealogues at the corporate level; look at their Christmas advertising in recent years. Whether that was purely for ESG stuff, as @GreyWing pointed out, is up for debate. But it clearly happened; Sharon White was a diversity hire with zero retail experience and only ever worked in the public sector, where spunking cash up a wall is never a problem.

But he was correct; John Lewis did go woke, and it played a part in their struggles. Clearly, it was overtaken by leftist idealogues at the corporate level; look at their Christmas advertising in recent years. Whether that was purely for ESG stuff, as @GreyWing pointed out, is up for debate. But it clearly happened; Sharon White was a diversity hire with zero retail experience and only ever worked in the public sector, where spunking cash up a wall is never a problem.
Ignored. You're adding zero to the discussion.

I must tell everyone who I have on ignore. That adds a lot to this conversation.

I don't know enough about John Lewis to comment on what caused their problems, but generally speaking it seems self-evident that companies which pass over better qualified candidates for employment in favour of less qualified candidates from disadvantaged groups will always under-perform relative to companies that just hire the best candidates, irrespective of background.

Hopefully that isn't so controversial an opinion that it gets me on anyone's ignore list!

I don't know enough about John Lewis to comment on what caused their problems, but generally speaking it seems self-evident that companies which pass over better qualified candidates for employment in favour of less qualified candidates from disadvantaged groups will always under-perform relative to companies that just hire the best candidates, irrespective of background.

Hopefully that isn't so controversial an opinion that it gets me on anyone's ignore list!
Meritocracy is always the best approach in any walk of life.

The wife ignores me, so I’m used to it.

Meritocracy is always the best approach in any walk of life.
I genuinely don't think it is in today's business world. It's all about turnover, profit just isn't a thing right now. Execs often get their bonuses on turnover, rather than profit.

A German general pre world war 1 - "it's a sort of folly to remain wise whilst all around you are mad."

I genuinely don't think it is in today's business world. It's all about turnover, profit just isn't a thing right now. Execs often get their bonuses on turnover, rather than profit.

A German general pre world war 1 - "it's a sort of folly to remain wise whilst all around you are mad."
As they say…. Chasing turnover is vanity - Chasing profit is sanity….

I don’t care what sex, ethnicity, body shape, sexuality etc you are….. if you are the best person for the job, you should get the position.

The other side of the argument is the loaded dice of equality of opportunity. That does need addressing.

If yer say yer English these days... you won't get the job!

Yes indeed @Cav, you just literally made the argument for anti-woke and got a thumbs up from our lord and saviour, despite claiming that John Lewis going woke wasn't relevant to this discussion.

Next he'll claim to be pro EU human rights and GDPR protocols despite not understanding or respecting right to privacy.

Last edited:
I see Boots just announced that they went the other way, hiring someone that started out stacking shelves at boots as a kid before going on to be COO at Asda and other leadership roles in similar businesses.

I see Boots just announced that they went the other way, hiring someone that started out stacking shelves at boots as a kid before going on to be COO at Asda and other leadership roles in similar businesses.

Wait - they didn't mention what sexuality they are, or their gender. I need to know this information to ensure the company cares about what people feel... not how hard they work or how good they are, that isn't a factor. I will decide if they're a good fit once I know this vital information.

Do they have a badge I can look at so I can learn more about them?

Back