Caught.co.uk Down

I actively 'deleted' a domain using Nominet webthing which was after expiry date and not wanted - the name went immediately.

Is this not expected behaviour? There are 30 days after the expiry date before it enters the irreversible PD status, where you still have control over it. If you deleted it during this period, it would delete right away. If already in PD, you don't have any control over it anymore, and it's subject to the 5 day deletion process.

It skipped the hold/5day bit, which my reading of the lifecycle process should have happened following the delete instruction.

Nominet said themselves (trying to find the link) that any domain that is deleted should go into 5 day pending delete. I don't know if that was intended for new registrations but certainly ones past invoice date.

Reactions: ben
Deletes before invoice definately dont stop another tag registering the exact same name again immediately, so not part of the 5daything queue.

That Nominet page says

You have successfully submitted your cancellation request, the domain name will now enter a 5-day “pending delete” period where it will be placed in a queue to be deleted.

But my experience of a delete post-expiry on the same pages of WDM their example show did not go into a queue (or prevent the new registration of the exact same name by someone less than 24h later )

Deletes before invoice definately dont stop another tag registering the exact same name again immediately, so not part of the 5daything queue.

That Nominet page says

You have successfully submitted your cancellation request, the domain name will now enter a 5-day “pending delete” period where it will be placed in a queue to be deleted.

But my experience of a delete post-expiry on the same pages of WDM their example show did not go into a queue (or prevent the new registration of the exact same name by someone less than 24h later )
That's odd, I wonder why, because the images clearly show them using Domain Manager to do it. Odd. Perhaps Rob's right. It is a glitch.

Nominets droplist d/load page says
  • Domains which are cancelled prior to expiry (except those in the add grace period which drop immediately) will be included on drop lists.
I did think skipping the process was odd but chalked it up to 'maybe it's supposed to be that way, investigate it some other time' due to the name being already expired/suspended.

Only even spotted it at the time as had a scripted check of names vs Nominet List API ( which still had it in the nominet list as its always a day behind ) - a mismatch noted so it checked the whois and emailed me the different tag & dates .

Wonder what Nominet would have to say about it? Going back to caught.co.uk being "human error", how could that be?

The circumstances around how the failure of an accredited registrar, leading to Nominet chasing registrants (under threat of deleting registrations) to 'pay up' for the unpaid invoices of the registrar is outrageous.

The fact they unrenewed domains that solely belong to Chris due to probably unpaid invoices and then cancelled them without entering the normal drop cycle with some explanation of 'human error' strikes me as being a clumsy way of explaining away a problem with their domain cancellation process in this case.

I wonder what would happen if a mid sized registrar who had customer names with a mix of recent registrations and longer standing customers who paid their renewals and then suddenly went thump - it would be absolute chaos and Nominet will have nothing other than themselves to blame for it.

Nominet need to look at this case as 'canary in the coal mine' and not wait for next time something like this happens.

My lack of trust in this organisation contines.

JohnP

Nominet need to look at this case as 'canary in the coal mine' and not wait for next time something like this happens.
Indeed. If they were smart about it, they'd quickly learn from this mistake.

Indeed. If they were smart about it, they'd quickly learn from this mistake.
Bit like the Post Office with their dodgy IT system and management issues - they probably don't think there is a problem.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Bit like the Post Office with their dodgy IT system and management issues - they probably don't think there is a problem.
I have a feeling you’re right.

I wonder what would happen if a mid sized registrar who had customer names with a mix of recent registrations and longer standing customers who paid their renewals and then suddenly went thump

There is a pool of registrars who take on the registrants in that instance with some ccTLDs, in the gTLD space there is both a known set of registrars and/or a general mailout RFI when it happens.

Nominet certainly maintained a list of members who would get involved in this, but there appeared to be a shift to taking registrants on directly ~2016

Not sure of official policy, but the a/c managers at Nominet are aware of those of us who get involved in rescues, and they ask if it is ok to pass on contact data if the struggling member has been communicating with Nominet.

Back