Is it Time to Stop the Bitterness Towards Acorn Domains?

DJ

Reaction score
Trophy points
There seem to be frequent negative posts aimed at the owner of AD and his good friend Ryan. I know I've been guilty of a few snide remarks towards
AD myself, and it's likely because many of us still hold some bitterness due to how the forum was managed under his tenure over the past year or so.

I'm wondering if it's time to draw a line under this, because if it wasn't for the direction AD was heading, Aaron wouldn't have set up UKDNF which inspired 4m, and most of us would still just be occasionally visiting AD, which, let's face it, had mainly become a place to post auction links well before Helmuts took over.

You may not agree with me, but I think unless we are prepared to move on from this, we risk the same bitterness creeping into this forum. I'm sure we have members here who still use both forums, as well as some who maintain relationships with Helmuts and/or Ryan. If we continue, we risk deterring new members and alienating existing ones.

These are just my thoughts, and you don't have to agree. Maybe I was just being sentimental because it was Father's Day, but perhaps it's time to
move on and leave any issues we have in the past. I, for one, am going to try to do this.

*Removed the happy fathers day message, but unbelievably I can leave in the p.s. below :)

P.S. !!COME ON ENGLAND!!

Agree 100% on this DJ.

I got fed up with AD and simply logged out and stopped visiting a couple of years ago. We have this new forum and so far all is good. The odd joke or remark can be funny but it looks unprofessional if it keeps happening. Also not a great impression for new members looking to join here. Most people will shy away from a toxic forum.

Looking forward to the future!

Lee :)

I'm no longer a member at AD, so I am happy to focus solely on this forum.

Yes I deleted all my posts, which Helmuts was very accommodating about, sadly I still drop by because it is like a bad sitcom at the moment, and some of the recent posts are comedy gold.

I signed out of Acorn shortly after joining UKDNF. I occasionally browse as a guest, but it's like trying to reason with a toddler and with 2 kids I know how futile that can be!

I think Helmuts has deleted my account. Not sure why. Too negative perhaps.

They have put themselves centre stage in the .UK space with their purchases and projects which there is nothing inherently wrong with they obviously have ambition and drive, but it does lend itself to extra criticism and scrutiny

I think it's all a bit of a meme at this point so a joke here and there is understandable

I'm tempted to use some real internet speak here and reference lolcows and homeless cats but I will give away how deep into stupid internet culture I am :p

What I will add is this;

It might sound ridiculous, but I found it incredibly hard to let go and to ask for my account and all posts to be deleted.

When you've spent so many years, and invested so much time into something, to see somebody else squander it all away is heart breaking. Even more so when they are numb to the numerous voices stating that the direction the new owner is heading in is damaging and not in the interest of specifically UK focussed domainers, but blindly continues on that path, all while throwing .it.com domain names down our throats, and stating that big UK businesses are scared to get involved on the forum due the toxicity and negative nature of regular and long-standing members.

Also, to see purposely antagonistic posts and behaviour from the likes of BrandFlu, Ree, Helmuts, and Ryan, to then have the cheek to turn around and state they are aiming for a friendly and positive "safe-place" to do business is frankly dumbfounding.

It feels like breaking up from a long-term relationship.

I know... I'm a weirdo.

Edit: Maybe it's just some big money laundering scam. Why else would you purposely do everything within your power to dilute and destroy the value of something so catastrophically?

Last edited:
The corporate cleansing of Ac*rn is complete. Let's move on and build something brilliant.

I'm glad and grateful that our community has been brought back together. Thank you @Aaron and thank you @dn.

Being a lone designer/developer/domainer can be a lonely pursuit. Being able to pop in here for a chat or a laugh or to ask a question is a simple joy.

Even though I've never met any of you, I feel part of something.

Forza 4M 💙

Last edited:
I think Helmuts has deleted my account. Not sure why. Too negative perhaps.

I was culled yesterday morning at the same time as you and DomainZone I think - along with Ryan's entire "positivity thread".

Helmuts reminds me of the helmet-wearing Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I'm sure everyone on this forum knows the sketch I'm referring to, but on the off-chance that the man himself is looking in (and I bet he does), here it is:

More seriously, I actually feel very sorry for the guy. Deep down he must know that he's really messed this up, so I imagine he's in emotional turmoil at the moment.

More seriously, I actually feel very sorry for the guy. Deep down he must know that he's really messed this up, so I imagine he's in emotional turmoil at the moment.
He appears to flit from one thing to the next after each failure. From crypo to the adult industry. One failure to the next.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 13-35-00 Good looking Female Volunteer Exhibition Assistant – Backsta...png
    Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 13-35-00 Good looking Female Volunteer Exhibition Assistant – Backsta...png
    112.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
He appears to flit from one thing to the next after each failure. From crypo to the adult industry. One failure to the next.

Helmuts in the adult industry?!!

The mind boggles, but your post reminded me of this, which I vaguely remember being discussed on Acorn when he took over. Needless to say, I can't find that thread now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48313132

• Wow
Reactions: Cav

And apparently it was the "negative posts" from established Acorn members that was preventing businesses from getting involved on the forum, when in actual fact it was (quite blatantly) Helmuts untrustworthy nature, and his seedy current/past in business.

And apparently it was the "negative posts" from established Acorn members that was preventing businesses from getting involved on the forum, when in actual fact it was (quite blatantly) Helmuts untrustworthy nature, and his seedy current/past in business.

If that was ever true, which I doubt. Now that all the "problematic people" have gone I'm expecting to see lots of corporate posts there. At the moment all I see is tumbleweed, but time will tell.

Does anyone else remember a jocular thread about the "booth babes" story on Acorn? It was at least a year ago, and to be fair I may have seen it elsewhere.

If that was ever true, which I doubt. Now that all the "problematic people" have gone I'm expecting to see lots of corporate posts there. At the moment all I see is tumbleweed, but time will tell.

Does anyone else remember a jocular thread about the "booth babes" story on Acorn? It was at least a year ago, and to be fair I may have seen it elsewhere.
I do remember it, and I also remember it being raised on more than one thread. I believe Greg and Aaron both flagged it as a dated and misogynistic marketing tactic.

It seems that he doesn't see it as a bad thing though, looking at his LinkedIn he wears the link from the BBC with pride.

I do remember it, and I also remember it being raised on more than one thread. I believe Greg and Aaron both flagged it as a dated and misogynistic marketing tactic.

It seems that he doesn't see it as a bad thing though, looking at his LinkedIn he wears the link from the BBC with pride.

Whatever could have happened to those threads?

I see the thread has been derailed a bit. Helmuts past has been fairly common knowledge for a while, and I'm not really sure how it is relevant to a domain forum.

Yes it might highlight that he has a chequered or questionable, past that some might not agree with. I remember the discussion at the time around the 'booth babes', I for one found it distasteful, but as I pointed out then, most of the women who decide to work in that industry, do so happily, make a good living out of it, and enjoy it. One of our tenants worked in the industry and she absolutely loved it and made a very good wage.

I am a father of 2 teenage daughters (16 & 18) and yes I would prefer that decide not to choose it as a career path, but if they did I would support them.

Bottom line is, if you don't like the forum or Helmuts or other people there, just stop visiting it. That is the best thing you can do.

I see the thread has been derailed a bit. Helmuts past has been fairly common knowledge for a while, and I'm not really sure how it is relevant to a domain forum.

Yes it might highlight that he has a chequered or questionable, past that some might not agree with. I remember the discussion at the time around the 'booth babes', I for one found it distasteful, but as I pointed out then, most of the women who decide to work in that industry, do so happily, make a good living out of it, and enjoy it. One of our tenants worked in the industry and she absolutely loved it and made a very good wage.

I am a father of 2 teenage daughters (16 & 18) and yes I would prefer that decide not to choose it as a career path, but if they did I would support them.

Bottom line is, if you don't like the forum or Helmuts or other people there, just stop visiting it. That is the best thing you can do.

I was aware of the booth babes story, which I agree is dated but harmless.

However, I wasn't aware of the contents of cm's attachment above, which goes way further.

The irony is that his own CV couldn't be be displayed in a safe space like Acorn.

100% just be positive in life and create happiness in what ever you do. Ignore the rest

Back