Ryan - AMA

I do worry about you a little when you make comments like this to be honest. Not sure if you are being serious or if light-heartedness is difficult to replicate in text on an internet forum, but if its the former then that is some serious delusion.
I think Ryan’s reply is probably tongue in cheek in response to my tongue in cheek AMA

I think Ryan’s reply is probably tongue in cheek in response to my tongue in cheek AMA
Probably one of those where we might benefit from an emoji, like 😉

Some forms of wit are easily lost in translation online.

Before Nominet brought into production the current release system for expired domains, I had hoped they would provide their own proprietary dropcatching solution that everyone would have to use, and that it would be a fairer system that way. FREE to use for any member of Nominet, log in with your WDM login, add your domains and boom, a lottery type system based on a random algorithm. That would be fair, and that is what I had hoped would happen.

Instead, it made it 100% easier for the two biggest tag pools to start clearing up, using their quota more accurately, allowing for more dominance of the dropcatching than ever before. No disrespect to Rob or Denys, because if I was either of them, I would have capitalised on that as well. But if we are talking fair? It needs to be an equal system for everyone involved.

1) Drop catching is rigged. It would be better for everyone if all domains were auctioned publicly. The UK market is not in good shape - you must acknowledge that?
2) That wasn't the intention but it is a fair point. I didn't mean to kill your business but you have to acknowledge that all domains are caught and liquidated which ruins the end user market. I like how Rob does it - in private. Drop catchers never hold - their is a middle ground where you have 3 buckets of domains - some you flip, some you keep for 12 months and some you hold longterm. If you catch for £5 you should pop a 10 year renewal on some and leave them to get fair market value.
You are speaking in fallacies.

On one hand, you advocate for "all dropping domains to be publicly auctioned", which means they are sold instantly at market rates.
On the other - you cry that most drop catchers liquidate domains into the open market without holding them.

In a perfect (to other investors) scenario, you assume that individual drop catchers would hold caught domains for longer and command higher asking prices along the way, helping those accumulating holders hold perpetually to the fulfillment of their dreams. But you should not expect catchers to take the investor roles. And when they don't - blame the ecosystem.

Practice shows, that most catchers are not interested in holding long-term for a hypothetical end user and prefer to opt for a faster and certain stream of income. Especially many of those "no name" ghost catchers - girlfriends, remote family members, recruited by those unscrupulous members on the premise of generating quick profits. (For the record, DomainCatch is never offered to such dubious clients, contrary to what a rival does en masse).

About 80% of dropped investment-grade domains are sold on the reseller market to a very small group of regular buyers. You have only a handful (count with one hand) of 'whales' who continue to expand their .uk holdings.

This is where you need to ask yourself why this is happening and why .uk domains are not attracting more investor interest.

I know the answer, and if you ever speak honestly with yourself, I bet you could derive it too.

So, if you were on a mission to propel the .uk market, perhaps you should focus on attracting fresh investment capital and talking to everyone about how great an investment instrument .uk domain names are.
Or are they? From your entire history as a .uk domainer, I haven't noticed a single reported and verified sale that was supposed to support the end-user market.

0% chance of selling to Godaddy - statistically more likely that we will acquire Godaddy than the other way around. They have big problems and cannot get investor returns and thats why they switched to AI side of things.
Statistics asides, why don't we deal with the reality - where are you going to get £23b from to acquire godaddy? You got it hiding under your gold hat?

Hi Ryan, today's AMA question to you is......Are you pissed every time you log into this forum and post? Simple question on the AMA you created. I think you don't have the bottle to do it when sober that is why I ask also it will determine the level of aggression you will get from me when you call me a 'cunt'. Jack x

Here is my question.

Ryan can you point us to your single biggest success online, so that we can judge if you're worth paying the $5000 a day consulting fee you're asking for?

Because I smell a lot of :poop: here. I've opened the windows and the smell persists.... I think its coming from your posts

What happened with you and Acorn?

From an outsider POV you seemed to be wholly on the side of new management and the heavy handed rules while marketing your properties (excessively IMO, but that's me). Then suddenly post-*ummit it all disappeared quietly and we had the world's tiniest mea culpa from Helmuts.

How do you feel the several month saga reflects on the Ewen brand?

And more positively, what does the next 6 to 12 months look like for your various interests?
Nothing happened at acorn - i came off for a little while as i typically do with social media too like facebook. Let things form naturally and then pop back in like now.

In terms of 'several month saga' - its no big deal, uk domainers can be a bit negative so its good to detox.

6-12 months.

Next 3 months - big announcements early next week. New CFO, CTO, COO (a lot of C's).

Alex (older brother) has taken over sales on Domain Manage.
Angus (younger brother) is taking over UK domain sales

Flip will have integration with Brandable in the next month + enterprise DNS & SSL
DNWE new site with auctions (public + private). Complete rebrand by end of Jan. App by end of Feb
Brandable full EPP automation + live chat. TV advertising and Royal Mail campaign March time
Domain Manage to rebrand - tried to buy Dan-com but couldn't. Will go for dn-com or digitalcandy-com (yes i know)

I will personally be focussed on buying and domain parking Jan-June

Hi Ryan, today's AMA question to you is......Are you pissed every time you log into this forum and post? Simple question on the AMA you created. I think you don't have the bottle to do it when sober that is why I ask also it will determine the level of aggression you will get from me when you call me a 'cunt'. Jack x
I haven't had any alcohol since Berlin - so the answer to the question is no and i'd have the bottle to tell you that to your face

Sorry, but these two quotes are wildly inconsistent.

I've also checked and this is the only use of the c word in 2427 posts on this forum, which is ironic indeed given that you were one the few cheerleaders for Helmuts' anti-insult regime at Acorn.

Are you testing your boundaries?
Not sure this makes sense. Can you reference the 2427 posts

Interesting thread, I have a question, any ideas to launch a new dan.com alternative? could use one very soon :p
There is enough talent here to do it - but unlikely anyone will because you can't provide enterprise support if you go to 0 fees

Worst AMA in history.

Invites questions, gives zero answers and calls somebody a cunt.

I hope you are okay Ryan (genuinely) as Helmuts hinted at mental health issues, and this thread doesn't do much to suggest otherwise.

I like Flip.uk by the way, its a nice looking site and seller backend easy to use. You build an equivalent for all extensions, probably be wearing quadruple gold if one of those takes off.
Thanks - no idea about Helmuts and mental health but thanks for asking and yes flip is getting an overhaul.

Quadruple gold sounds good - what would that be - hat? Jacket, Trousers? and...

Auctions aren't a fair system either. Those with the most money get the domain. Money goes to money.

Dropcatching is a more fair system. Especially for those that have the skills and knowledge to develop their own systems.

The system being rigged is a failure on Nominets end.
Fair point - depends which side of the coin you are on.

Personally i don't dropcatch but if i did i would undoubtedly have the best system. At the moment it is more cost effective to buy from dropcatchers so i am a winner and you guys win - everyone wins

Before Nominet brought into production the current release system for expired domains, I had hoped they would provide their own proprietary dropcatching solution that everyone would have to use, and that it would be a fairer system that way. FREE to use for any member of Nominet, log in with your WDM login, add your domains and boom, a lottery type system based on a random algorithm. That would be fair, and that is what I had hoped would happen.

Instead, it made it 100% easier for the two biggest tag pools to start clearing up, using their quota more accurately, allowing for more dominance of the dropcatching than ever before. No disrespect to Rob or Denys, because if I was either of them, I would have capitalised on that as well. But if we are talking fair? It needs to be an equal system for everyone involved.
I agree. Fair should be fair which ever way it is done

You are speaking in fallacies.

On one hand, you advocate for "all dropping domains to be publicly auctioned", which means they are sold instantly at market rates.
On the other - you cry that most drop catchers liquidate domains into the open market without holding them.

In a perfect (to other investors) scenario, you assume that individual drop catchers would hold caught domains for longer and command higher asking prices along the way, helping those accumulating holders hold perpetually to the fulfillment of their dreams. But you should not expect catchers to take the investor roles. And when they don't - blame the ecosystem.

Practice shows, that most catchers are not interested in holding long-term for a hypothetical end user and prefer to opt for a faster and certain stream of income. Especially many of those "no name" ghost catchers - girlfriends, remote family members, recruited by those unscrupulous members on the premise of generating quick profits. (For the record, DomainCatch is never offered to such dubious clients, contrary to what a rival does en masse).

About 80% of dropped investment-grade domains are sold on the reseller market to a very small group of regular buyers. You have only a handful (count with one hand) of 'whales' who continue to expand their .uk holdings.

This is where you need to ask yourself why this is happening and why .uk domains are not attracting more investor interest.

I know the answer, and if you ever speak honestly with yourself, I bet you could derive it too.

So, if you were on a mission to propel the .uk market, perhaps you should focus on attracting fresh investment capital and talking to everyone about how great an investment instrument .uk domain names are.
Or are they? From your entire history as a .uk domainer, I haven't noticed a single reported and verified sale that was supposed to support the end-user market.
Yes this is all valid and i like to let my work do the talking so lets see the adverts on TV in early 2025 and we can then talk about who brought eyeballs to the industry and this will be the point when drop catchers start holding and your points are negated

• 100%
Reactions: ben
Statistics asides, why don't we deal with the reality - where are you going to get £23b from to acquire godaddy? You got it hiding under your gold hat?
Its called reverse cannibalisation - you don't need 100% to own godaddy. You just need enough to have a 'controlling' share either individually or in a group.

The best thing about this is that i've said by 2029 so we can watch this play out one way or another in the next few years. Like domainer reality tv!

Here is my question.

Ryan can you point us to your single biggest success online, so that we can judge if you're worth paying the $5000 a day consulting fee you're asking for?

Because I smell a lot of :poop: here. I've opened the windows and the smell persists.... I think its coming from your posts
Buddy what have you ever done in life that warrants anything noteworthy. Maybe thats why you never say anything because put simply there is nothing you could say that would be of interest...

An actual AMA question, why previously did you use the alias of (I believe) Robert Smith?

An actual AMA question, why previously did you use the alias of (I believe) Robert Smith?
Because i didn't want people to know who i was. I felt the forum was very toxic so i didnt want someone turning up at my door with a knife.

Nobody used their real name and for a few years now i have.

Back